[SOLVED] Chirping Sound (Coil Whine?) from GPU or PSU while idle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 14, 2022
Hello there!

I am not quite sure since when this sound started but I am pretty certain that it wasn't always there.
No matter if my PC is idling or under full load, there is almost always this constant chirping sound. Since my case (cm nr200p) consists of mostly mesh surfaces, this sound unfortunately is very audible.

I already tried listening right next to my case but I can't be sure if it's the PSU or GPU. If I had to choose one, I'd go with the GPU.
Here is a video clip of said issue:

Any ideas what the culprit might be?

Below is a list of all my parts:
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
  • G.Skill Trident Z DIMM Kit 32GB, DDR4-3200, CL14-14-14-34
  • ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3080
  • GIGABYTE B550I AORUS Pro AX
  • Corsair SF Series SF750
  • Noctua NH-U12A
  • Cooler Master MasterBox NR200
  • Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM
  • Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM

Last edited:
Solution
I couldn't even hear it, but there is a potential solution by setting a global FPS limit to whatever your highest monitors refresh rate is. This can sometimes alleviate coil whine. If the issue persists I would start looking at fans. While the fans are spinning tap on the middle section to see if it causes any sounds similar to what you are experiencing or alleviates the sound temporarily.
Feb 14, 2022
Welcome to the forums! You can turn a piece of paper into a tube put on end to your ear and move other end towards components you think are the source of the sound. This sometimes helps pinpoint the source of the sound.
I already tried that but had no luck with that :( Maybe the parts are too close together to properly hear a difference.

I couldn't even hear it, but there is a potential solution by setting a global FPS limit to whatever your highest monitors refresh rate is. This can sometimes alleviate coil whine. If the issue persists I would start looking at fans. While the fans are spinning tap on the middle section to see if it causes any sounds similar to what you are experiencing or alleviates the sound temporarily.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.