ChkDsk and Large Hard Drives

I have recently purchased a 200GB HD which is currently in use in my system.
I decided to run ChkDsk on it today since i wanted to ensure the drive was
healthy before i did a low level defrag. The utility took over 2.5 hours to
check the 200GB Hard Drive. Which is tons longer than the 5-10 minutes taken
on my 30GB HD.

Is this normal timing for ChkDsk on HD's of this size? if so is MS doing
anything to increase the performance on HD's of this size? as almost 3 hours
is insane...

This is a XP SP2 clean install (using slipstreamed media)....

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 14:41:02 -0800, "Frazell Thomas"
<FrazellThomas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have recently purchased a 200GB HD which is currently in use in my system.
>I decided to run ChkDsk on it today since i wanted to ensure the drive was
>healthy before i did a low level defrag. The utility took over 2.5 hours to
>check the 200GB Hard Drive. Which is tons longer than the 5-10 minutes taken
>on my 30GB HD.
>
>Is this normal timing for ChkDsk on HD's of this size? if so is MS doing
>anything to increase the performance on HD's of this size? as almost 3 hours
>is insane...
>
>This is a XP SP2 clean install (using slipstreamed media)....
did you check the drive for errors, chkdsk /f,
or do a surface scan in addition - chkdsk /r?

If the latter, it can certainly take a long time.

Dave