Question Chkdsk and safe mode stuck help!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

turkeypets

Prominent
Sep 5, 2022
I recently reinstalled Windows but my computer crashes when i use photo software or any high demanding graphics applications. So i have turned off the computer manually several times in the last week. I ran chkdsk and it froze at 25% on stage 5, so i turned off the computer after waiting for hours and entered safe mode to run chkdsk, but safe mode also gets stuck, the last thing i see loading at the bottom of the screen says Windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys
Also if i just try to start the computer normally it says chkdsk needs to run so im hoping it doesn’t get stuck in an endless loop.
Pressing any button to cancel it doesn’t work.
I ran HP diagnostics F9 and everything passes, CPU, memory, hard drives, and the boot path. Right now i just restarted the computer regularly and it said chkdsk needs to run so im trying again.

Last edited:

turkeypets

Prominent
Sep 5, 2022
Second disk is in perfect health.

Than means -it's slightly damaged.
I did suggest you upgrading it to SSD.
But it's up to you, if you want to do it or not.
i know you did i appreciate your help man alot youve helped me more than anybody on here.
It just its an old computer still running Vista. And its a bit more complicated than im use to doing inside a computer and im having problems with artifacts in graphics sometimes , i think that its the graphics card or corrupt driver but could a damaged hard drive cuase video to do this? Heres one of the pictures i took when it happens. then computer crashes.

View: https://imgur.com/a/YrPvZIa

im having problems with artifacts in graphics sometimes , i think that its the graphics card or corrupt driver but could a damaged hard drive cuase video to do this?
That is graphics problem - failing graphics card or corrupted drivers.
Drivers can get corrupted by failing hard drive.

Try reinstalling drivers with clean install option.
If that doesn't fix it, then blame on graphics card.

turkeypets

Prominent
Sep 5, 2022
That is graphics problem - failing graphics card or corrupted drivers.
Drivers can get corrupted by failing hard drive.

Try reinstalling drivers with clean install option.
If that doesn't fix it, then blame on graphics card.
thank you!

I have had issues with certain drivers since the Windows reinstall.
Nvidia emailed me a up to date driver and i had problems everyday after installing it the computer became almost unusable. I rolled back and to previous driver but i still get crashes when using graphics demanding applications like photo software.
Im reading "How to perform a CLEAN install of your video card drivers by DarkBreeze.

Last edited:
Im reading "How to perform a CLEAN install of your video card drivers by DarkBreeze.
Clean install option is a single checkbox in driver setup dialog screen.

before-install-1.png

turkeypets

Prominent
Sep 5, 2022
Clean install option is a single checkbox in driver setup dialog screen.

before-install-1.png
hey thanks!

i actually saw that when reading last night and remembered last time i installed the graphics driver from Nvidia i think i checked that box. Pretty sure i did but ill do it over for sure this time.
It has sata ports. So sata 2.5"SSD can be installed. Crucial MX500 - for example would be a good fit.

If a drive is physically damaged, then running defrag on it can make it worse.

Obviously you don't want to install windows on a damaged drive. You'll get corrupted windows this way.

Flashing disk activity led means disk activity is happening. Yes.
But obviously you can not wait forever for some infinite process.

If you decide to get a new drive (SSD) and install windows on it, then make sure you change sata controller mode in BIOS to AHCI.
It is currently set to RAID.
Have only single drive connected, while installing windows.
Reconnect other drives only after windows is installed.
Then diagnose them.
It has sata ports. So sata 2.5"SSD can be installed. Crucial MX500 - for example would be a good fit.

If a drive is physically damaged, then running defrag on it can make it worse.

Obviously you don't want to install windows on a damaged drive. You'll get corrupted windows this way.

Flashing disk activity led means disk activity is happening. Yes.
But obviously you can not wait forever for some infinite process.

If you decide to get a new drive (SSD) and install windows on it, then make sure you change sata controller mode in BIOS to AHCI.
It is currently set to RAID.
Have only single drive connected, while installing windows.
Reconnect other drives only after windows is installed.
Then diagnose them.
I saw Crucials web site thats great they have my computer model listed and Youtube videos showing how to install. I dont have a working cd/dvd drive in the computer and my Windows recovery is built right into my computer i dont have a disc to reinstall Windows. How would i install Windows on this new hard drive?

I dont have a working cd/dvd drive in the computer and my Windows recovery is built right into my computer i dont have a disc to reinstall Windows. How would i install Windows on this new hard drive?
Get windows installation media on USB flash drive,
boot from this flash drive and
install windows.

Or you can also clone old disk to new disk and avoid installing windows at all.
Macrium Reflect free can do this.

turkeypets

Prominent
Sep 5, 2022
install windows.

thank you!

i probably could make a copy of the recovery and put it on the usb flash.
im pretty sure my computer lets me do that with a dvd.
I think you asked me to run SFC or DISM earlier, i did run sfc but DISM wouldnt run probably because Windows dont support Vista anymore.
Do you really think its a bad idea to try to defrag the drive then run chkdsk again?
and what do you think of this explaination about reinstalling Windows with a bad sector?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...stall-or/986427a3-a611-46e5-964a-e02bb8893d63

And could you tell what type of 1 bad sector and 2 weaks sectors that were found by Hard Disk Sentinel by the information pictures i posted? Can you tell if they are Hard bad sectors or a Soft bad sectors.

Last edited:

turkeypets

Prominent
Sep 5, 2022
install windows.

I ran a full chkdsk from safe mode command promp. Then i ran defrag from safe mode command promp.
Dont know if i eve ran a defrag from safe mode command here is a picture of the results does it look like it ran a full defrag?
i reinstalled the latest Nvidia driver with clean install and also uninstalled the SES driver for my external hard drive and my computer is shutting down and restarting normal and fast. I didnt wait to see if the reinstall of the driver fixed it i uninstalled the SES driver before the Nvidia prompt to restart when it finished installing the driver. All i know is after doing those two things everything is okay.
Weird though i was typing all this a few minutes ago and the screen went black and i couldnt get it back. I restarted by turning off the button and when it restarted i got the artifacts problem across the screen and the computer crashed.
I figure its the new driver acting up like it did last time but

turkeypets

Prominent
Sep 5, 2022
Which Nvidia driver version did you install?
For such an old card latest drivers may have broken compatibility.

Try some older driver version. Like 186.18 for example.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-NX86T512H/support#support-dl-driver
thanks for the link.
I tried the last 5 drivers from Nvidia. I noticed after i uninstall a driver from control panel-programs when i restart Windows installs the original driver from the recovery image on the D drive.
and thats the driver that was working for me until last night when i tried to get rid of the blue screen during shutdown
I thought i solved everything by trying the new driver again and deleting the external hard drive driver before i went to sleep but today started getting blue screen during shutdown again, but its amazing i was able to do a full chkdsk and defrag this morning.
Sucks i turned off the computer or it crashed about 10 times today. ill be doing anothe chkdsk when i go to sleep.
It looks like the card driver and the SES driver for the external are causing most of the problems, and it seems if i dont safely remove the external drive before shutting down i get a blue screen. So i guess Windows isnt liking the external driver or the external drive without the driver. Im so kicking myself for not upgrading Windows all these years.

Does this pic look okay did it do a complete defrag?
i dont think i ever ran defrag from command before.
I would think it should say 100% but i dont know what im looking at lol.

View: https://imgur.com/a/0j4vg5K

Last edited: