Question Chkdsk discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap on an SSD?

e4472

Honorable
Jun 29, 2014
Hello,

Recently I suspected my secondary storage drive might be having issues. My secondary drive is a 1TB HDD, so I ran "chkdsk /r" on it to see if it would find any issues with it. The scan didn't find any problems with the drive and the issues I was having seem to have resolved now.

Anyway as I had scanned my secondary drive I thought I may as well run a scan on my primary OS drive which is a Samsung 840 evo 120GB SSD, even though it has been working fine. I used "chkdsk /r" which proceeded to run on the next startup, after stage 5 of the scan the following message appeared:

"CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.

Windows has made corrections to the file system.
No further action is required."

Everything else was fine with no bad sectors.

I ran the scan a second time on the SSD to verify it had fixed the issue and this came back as having found no problems. I have Samsung magician installed which states the drive health is good with 23TB written, the SMART status also shows as OK for all fields. Having done some research it seems many consider using "chkdsk /r" on an SSD as pointless as there is no need to check for bad sectors, although there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer on whether "chkdsk" should be used on an SSD or what parameters are best. So I think in the future I will use "chkdsk /f" instead.

I wasn't having any issues with my primary drive so my question is whether this is anything I should worry about or a symptom of a failing drive?

Some useful information about my system:
SSD: Samsung 840 evo 120GB

Many thanks for reading and any help you can provide.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS