Chkdsk problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

bocad

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
Hello,
I cannot get chkdsk to run in any form. It either tells me another process is in use, or some other excuse for not checking until next start up. The problem is it runs chkdsk every start up and never fixes or designates the problem. win xp pro

Solution

Know how frustrating this is. Read this on a previous thread, and it worked for me :

Windows Desktop -> Start -> Run

Bring up the computer's command prompt by typing CMD into the address bar.

Type chkdsk /r just as it's written, no exceptions.

It will ask you if you want to run this at next Startup, type in Y for Yes

Then Restart your computer

It may take awhile for CheckDisk to complete the 5 steps, but this procedure will attempt to allow the computer to repair the...
Check the link to:
Disable or Stop Auto CHKDSK During Windows Startup
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/disable-or-stop-auto-chkdsk-during-windows-startup/

How to Stop CHKDSK at startup
http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/how-to-stop-chkdsk-at-startup/154355.html

First off, let the chkdsk continue during the next boot... second, apply the solution to stop auto chkdsk, and third, follow with a disk defrag. If the chkdsk comes up again on the next reboot, run the application HD Health.. if it indicates disk condition in low % (percentaje), backup your personal information and be prepared for HD failure.

PeacefulBrowser

Honorable
Aug 19, 2012

Know how frustrating this is. Read this on a previous thread, and it worked for me :

Windows Desktop -> Start -> Run

Bring up the computer's command prompt by typing CMD into the address bar.

Type chkdsk /r just as it's written, no exceptions.

It will ask you if you want to run this at next Startup, type in Y for Yes

Then Restart your computer

It may take awhile for CheckDisk to complete the 5 steps, but this procedure will attempt to allow the computer to repair the errors that it finds.

Good luck. : )

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.