Chkdsk running for over 24 hours?!!!

SirReddSir

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
My desktop started having some problems a little while ago. Finally, last week, I decided it was time for a reformat. After reformatting (back to Vista Home Premium 32bt), everything seemed to be going alright… that is, until I reattached my other internal hard drives.

I currently have a C drive which I use for the OS and programs (320gb); an E drive which I use for documents (500gb); and an F drive which I use for videos (1.5tb). Only the C drive was reformatted, and I detached both the other drives during the process to protect them.

However, now the 1.5 drive (Seagate ST31500341AS) is having some pretty serious problems. Whenever I try to browse through the drive, things get very VERY slow, and occasionally crash. I’ve attempted to do a “chkdsk” on it, but the first few times it seemed to hang and fail. Right now, I’m running a chkdsk /f /r (via the command prompt)… and we’re going on hour 20. So far, it’s made it to stage 4 of 5, and found two “bad cluster” errors. It presently reads: “10 percent complete. (604 of 76336)”

This can’t be right. If I leave it alone, and it continues to find errors, it could take WEEKS! What should I do now? Is it possible that my cables are bad? That the hard drive has become corrupt and needs a reformat itself? Is the drive dying? For now, I’m going to leave it doing it’s thing, but (as I said) this can’t be right!

Please help!!!!!

(PS- I tried to use Seagate’s diagnostic tool, “SeaTools for Windows,” but it couldn’t do the most basic of checks… it couldn’t even find the model number of my drives! Should I try using their DOS version, or does this imply a larger problem?)

The use of /r in chkdsk tells it to scan the entire surface of the drive for sector errors, basically the same thing a "full" format does. It has to check every sector on the hard drive. On a 1.5T drive it can take a very long time. If you can't halt it by hitting CTRL-C then you will probably need to let it finish.

Some drive tools don't work well if your drive controller is set to AHCI instead of IDE in the bios. Try a different utility like HD Tune or something. If it also has problems, your drive may be dying. If your bios can see the drive and windows disk management can see it too, then it may not be a problem.

On the plus side, if chkdsk does find any problems it should fix it or at least attempt to.