chkdsk stuck at 10%, restarted, wiped out some of my data... HELP!

rex.and.kathy

Reputable
Sep 4, 2018
I ran a chkdsk c: /r /f on my laptop last night. After 2 hours it was still stuck at 10%, so I read on an another forum that I should restart the computer, end the chkdsk, do a disk clean, and then restart the chkdsk. When I did this I could no longer access the CMD to redo the chkdsk. I also lost my start menu, access to edge, and apparently the c:\windows\system32 prompt. I have 3 questions:
1. Is it normal for the chkdsk to not move past 10% after 2 hours?
2. How can I get back to the chkdsk to continue where I left off?
3. How do I fix this problem and regain the items that were lost?

Thanks!

Solution
It's not normal for chkdsk to stop at 10%, but abnormal things can and do happen on computers unfortunately. That's why it's imperative that you make backups if you don't want to lose data and/or your OS. (2 & 3) Something is significantly wrong on your system, so if you can't find and fix it, you'll probably have to format your C: partition and reinstall Windows. If you can't boot Windows, my approach is to boot Linux Mint which has a similar user interface to Windows. I have it on a USB3 flash drive where I can boot it in under one minute. If your data is accessible, you can copy it to an external device before having to format C: and reinstall.
It's not normal for chkdsk to stop at 10%, but abnormal things can and do happen on computers unfortunately. That's why it's imperative that you make backups if you don't want to lose data and/or your OS. (2 & 3) Something is significantly wrong on your system, so if you can't find and fix it, you'll probably have to format your C: partition and reinstall Windows. If you can't boot Windows, my approach is to boot Linux Mint which has a similar user interface to Windows. I have it on a USB3 flash drive where I can boot it in under one minute. If your data is accessible, you can copy it to an external device before having to format C: and reinstall.

Solution