Using XP Pro SP2 with a standard NTFS C-drive partition.

I will run check disk by right clicking on the C-drive, go to properties,
Tools Tab, and click on the Check Now button. I will click on the first
check box only, "Automatically fix file system errors.

It says it can't at that time, but do I want to schedule it? Yes. When I
restarted the computer chkdsk started to check the computer. After it was
done, it continued with the reboot. All went fine, but what is the status
of the findings? No information letting me know if all is fine, or if it
found errors? And if it did find errors, did it fix them?

Can someone shed some light on this please? I know there is another way of
doing chkdsk using the dos prompt, but I was told be careful going that
route.

MARKC

Tom

"MarkC" <None@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Using XP Pro SP2 with a standard NTFS C-drive partition.
>
> I will run check disk by right clicking on the C-drive, go to properties,
> Tools Tab, and click on the Check Now button. I will click on the first
> check box only, "Automatically fix file system errors.
>
> It says it can't at that time, but do I want to schedule it? Yes. When I
> restarted the computer chkdsk started to check the computer. After it was
> done, it continued with the reboot. All went fine, but what is the status
> of the findings? No information letting me know if all is fine, or if it
> found errors? And if it did find errors, did it fix them?
>
> Can someone shed some light on this please? I know there is another way
> of doing chkdsk using the dos prompt, but I was told be careful going that
> route.
>
> MARKC

Type "eventvwr.msc" (no quotes) and then double click the system line in the
main windows, and do the same on the "winlogon" line item, and you'll see
the results.

Tom

"Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message

> "MarkC" <None@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Using XP Pro SP2 with a standard NTFS C-drive partition.
>>
>> I will run check disk by right clicking on the C-drive, go to properties,
>> Tools Tab, and click on the Check Now button. I will click on the first
>> check box only, "Automatically fix file system errors.
>>
>> It says it can't at that time, but do I want to schedule it? Yes. When
>> I restarted the computer chkdsk started to check the computer. After it
>> was done, it continued with the reboot. All went fine, but what is the
>> status of the findings? No information letting me know if all is fine,
>> or if it found errors? And if it did find errors, did it fix them?
>>
>> Can someone shed some light on this please? I know there is another way
>> of doing chkdsk using the dos prompt, but I was told be careful going
>> that route.
>>
>> MARKC
>
> Type "eventvwr.msc" (no quotes) and then double click the system line in
> the main windows, and do the same on the "winlogon" line item, and you'll
> see the results.

Sorry, type the above in Start/Run, and click OK [I did that too fast :) ]

For a peek at the log.
Open the Event Viewer...
Start | Run | Type: eventvwr | OK
Look in Application | Listed as Information |
Event ID: 1001
Source: Winlogon
volume name or serial number to help determine what volume Chkdsk ran
against. Also included is whether Chkdsk ran because a user scheduled it or
because the dirty bit was set.]]

[[When Autochk runs against a volume at boot time it records its output to a
file called Bootex.log in the root of the volume being checked. The Winlogon
service then moves the contents of each Bootex.log file to the Application
Event log.]]

Bootex.log is then deleted. The Application Event log is AppEvent.Evt and
is viewed in the Event Viewer, under Application.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:ODTZkQn0EHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
MarkC <None@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
> Using XP Pro SP2 with a standard NTFS C-drive partition.
>
> I will run check disk by right clicking on the C-drive, go to
> properties, Tools Tab, and click on the Check Now button. I will
> click on the first check box only, "Automatically fix file system
> errors.
>
> It says it can't at that time, but do I want to schedule it? Yes.
> When I restarted the computer chkdsk started to check the computer.
> After it was done, it continued with the reboot. All went fine, but
> what is the status of the findings? No information letting me know
> if all is fine, or if it found errors? And if it did find errors,
> did it fix them?
>
> Can someone shed some light on this please? I know there is another
> way of doing chkdsk using the dos prompt, but I was told be careful
> going that route.
>
> MARKC

Thanks Wesley and Tom for taking the time to reply. Yes found the info
under the Application folder.

MarkC

> For a peek at the log.
> Open the Event Viewer...
> Start | Run | Type: eventvwr | OK
> Look in Application | Listed as Information |
> Event ID: 1001
> Source: Winlogon
> volume name or serial number to help determine what volume Chkdsk ran
> against. Also included is whether Chkdsk ran because a user scheduled it
> or
> because the dirty bit was set.]]
>
> [[When Autochk runs against a volume at boot time it records its output to
> file called Bootex.log in the root of the volume being checked. The
> Winlogon
> service then moves the contents of each Bootex.log file to the Application
> Event log.]]
>
> Bootex.log is then deleted. The Application Event log is AppEvent.Evt and
> is viewed in the Event Viewer, under Application.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:ODTZkQn0EHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
> MarkC <None@nospam.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Using XP Pro SP2 with a standard NTFS C-drive partition.
>>
>> I will run check disk by right clicking on the C-drive, go to
>> properties, Tools Tab, and click on the Check Now button. I will
>> click on the first check box only, "Automatically fix file system
>> errors.
>>
>> It says it can't at that time, but do I want to schedule it? Yes.
>> When I restarted the computer chkdsk started to check the computer.
>> After it was done, it continued with the reboot. All went fine, but
>> what is the status of the findings? No information letting me know
>> if all is fine, or if it found errors? And if it did find errors,
>> did it fix them?
>>
>> Can someone shed some light on this please? I know there is another
>> way of doing chkdsk using the dos prompt, but I was told be careful
>> going that route.
>>
>> MARKC

MarkC,

Keep having fun! :)