Choices: Blonde or Brunette?

tilca

Distinguished
May 16, 2002
Hello Everyone,
I'm looking at the Fry's ad this morning, as I am in the market for a cheap video card with TV out to use on a spare computer (For sending Dvix movies and DVD's to my TV.
They have a Gainward Nvidia 5200 with 128 meg ($77.99), a Power Color 9200SE ($69.99), and a Hauppauge Media MVP ($89.99). I guess the Hauppage hooks up to the current Video card and sends movies and sound to the TV. I'm not sure how that thing works. But it comes with a remote and I am a well known couch potato.
Anyway, which do you think is the best choice? I'd really like to get a all in wonder 9700 pro, but can't afford it right now.
TIA,
Tim

cleeve

Illustrious
All of these cards suck in their price range.

If you're looking for kick-ass performance on the cheap for games, get a Geforce4 Ti4200. They can be had for about $80 and will eat either of those cards for breakfast.

To add insult to injury, after eating them the Ti4200 will slowly shat them out, put them in a bag, and set it on fire on someone's doorstep.

------------------
Radeon 9500 (hardmodded to PRO, o/c to 322/322)
AMD AthlonXP 2400+ (o/c to 2600+ with 143 fsb)
3dMark03: 4055

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
LOL, thought this was gonna be a useless spam thread! My MSI TI 4200 has a TV-Out connector, I picked it up for $80 over 2 months ago. It should be aboujt $70 now. I can't tell you how good/bad the TV-Out is though, because I never used it before, but it should be decent considering that this card used to sell for $200.

</font color=red><A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=37267#37267" target="_new"><b><font color=green>OFFICIAL PETITION - REPEAL SPUD'S BAN?</b></font color=green></A>

tilca

Distinguished
May 16, 2002
Thanks for the replys. Where did you guys get those ti4200's at that price? I looked at Newegg, and the cheapest was $94.00 with TV out. It was a chaintech. Maybe I'll check Fry's Outpost to see if they still have ti4200's before I drive down to the store. I already know it is pointless to call Fry's and ask them if they have it.

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Brunette.

SIGNATURE: Stop asking people "whats up" or "hows it goin", you know you don't give a sh*t. And noone cares how you're doing either.

"We are far less than we knew." - Bright Eyes

tilca

Distinguished
May 16, 2002
Btw, I knew I would get more responses if I had a catchy subject title. Who can resist blondes or brunettes?
I'm searching for a Ti4200 right now. I stopped off at CompUsa last night, but didn't see any.
Tim

bandikoot

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
A friend of mine has had a gainward ti4200 128mb for about a year now and I can attest that the tv-out works great. We regularly watch movies with power dvd on it, and WMP 9, and the DivX player work with no problems either. Every now and then we even get board and will play a game on tv-out. The details aren't always quite as nice, but damn it it's big. :smile: The only problem we've had is that it sometimes doesn't like intensive gaming on the monitor while it is just displaying the tv out background on the TV as a secondary display. Jedi Academy would lock up the entire system that way and IIRC the new max payne game has the same problem. As long as you stick to just one output on newer games it's all good. I haven't seen the new 52.xx control panel (if they made a new one for it) but the only one is somewhat counter intuitive as to where some of the tv out options are at so it may take a few minutes to get up and running the way you want the first time you use it.

Grub

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
There is of course the Leadtek Winfast 2000 TV Deluxe. Its 40.00 shipped from Newegg, has a TV tuner, PVR, Video Editing software, and a IR REMOTE. It even comes with the adapters for RCA or S-video. Might be the way to go if you're not concerned about playing games on this computer.

It's all Bush's fault...all of it...

So lemme get this straight, you need to buy both the Graphics card AND Hauppauge?

For the price you are paying an All-in-Wonder R9600P would beat all the combinations and even the GF4 + Hauppauge IMO, you can get them new for around $200.

The AIW R9600P also performs better at stock speed than the R9600Pro. The AIW R9700P is expensive,but the combos you're listing aren't much cheaper than that, and you'd get much better performance.

If you don't mind Refurb. You can get a refurb AIW R9700non-P from NEWEGG for $199, which would (probably as you already know) blow away the competition.

Also an AIW 9000PRO 64mb goes for $149 on NewEGG.

And if you're not going to play games a cheap Matrox card will give you the BEST TV out image quality and functionality availible. However they will not play modern games very well.

If the above are not doable then yeah wou'll do ok with a GF4.

Anywhoo, that's my suggestion.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Good question, I have bronze collored hair with gold streaks and brown specks, it's a very dingy color, I'm dressing up as a show-class drag queen for Halloween and can't decide whether to dye my hair or bleach it.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
if your looking for a strictly tv out card i would go with an ati card. the quality is much better. if you dont care about the 3d quality get an old radeon.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 69.12.5.119:27015

Nah, if it's strictly 2D and TV out. Matrox IS the king of that, even now. However they DON'T do games as well as the others.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: