Choose between brands: Corsair, Kingston, or Super Talent

i_hate_flying

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
I am building a computer and I have to choose between two brands of memory. The choices are:
-CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
-Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

Unfortunately, I cannot choose the Super Talent that I want :(

Considerations: I will be using an eVGA nForce 680i mobo, a E6600 C2D processor, and I plan to overclock in the near future. I've been told by the person I'm buying the memory from that eVGA recommends the Kingston (might have something to do with nVIDIA endorsing it as SLI-approved).

Considering that the price is exactly the same, which would you recommend?

Statross

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
hmm, so it wont boot unless RAM has 2.1 volts being supplied to it and generally new mo/bos will have less, 1.8v, say?

but then how comes it will work with only one to start with if they both need 2.1v? or do you mean dual channel needs 2.1? (that doesnt sound right:p)

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005
I shall be doing a review a tomshardware in the near future once I can fully test it to the limits, expect it in a week or so I'm only fourteen but don't let that fool you, I know what I'm doing, and all my tests have been done with an asus crosshair motherboar and amd x2 4000 cpu. The results may be different if using an intel board such as the rd600 (techincally already released, just not in stores) or 680i series boards Best of luck

Oh wow is this you? That's weird... small world eh.

P.S you're too knowledgeable for a 14 year old :)

i_hate_flying

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
What exactly was the super talent you can't get?
SUPER TALENT 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model T800UX2GC4 with 4-4-3-8 timings.

As for ocz, the problem runs into voltage
I think I understand. When I was 14, I was messing about with computers quite a bit. I broke them, had to fix them again, and knew my DOS 5. But since that time, I've just purchased computers from Dell and Alienware and never OC'd. Now I'm trying to get back into it, but I'm afraid that it might be too late!

This guy I'm buying the parts from is helping me put it all together, so I'm assuming he knows about the OCZ voltage. He doesn't know about OCing, however, so I'm going to need to do that on my own. I've read that the best results come from the E6300 and E6400 processors, though they aren't sure why. But I've also read that some versions of the E6600 chip can OC like :twisted: it's just that you never know exactly which version you're getting.

Fortunately, I can get the OCZ ram and it's 90$Canadian cheaper. Here's the exact specifications.
-2048 MB DDR II 800 Memory 240 Pin 28002048ELDCGE-K (OCZ) (1024 x 2)

Is that any good?

forumtroll

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
I think I understand. When I was 14, I was messing about with computers quite a bit. I broke them, had to fix them again, and knew my DOS 5. But since that time, I've just purchased computers from Dell and Alienware and never OC'd.

Sounds like you're writing my bio! :)

Out of the two you listed I'd go for the corsair. It is unlikely that either set of sticks will leave you wanting, though.

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Other than personal preference
I see no reason why the SuperTalent would not work.
As chuckshissle stated the corsairs will not disappoint you.

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Just like any product on the market.
Quality may vary with each production run.
It may improve or degrade but still meet the guarantied rating of the manufacture.
Don’t count out corsair because of a few user imperfections.
Mostly the demands are different between each individual.
Take the SuperTalent ram modules between you and I.
I can clock 1200 MHz and you can not.
Is it the ram or is it your memory controller on chip from your AMD based system?
What I am trying to say is pull in all the data before you condemn or praise a product.
8)

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
Well what would you say if I had not one, but two entirely separate Kingston modules from different sources from different months (from the Value line, but still both from Kingston) that were both PHYSICALLY too large to fit in the DIMM slot?

I'm on a lifetime boycott of Kingston for that. Immature, to say the least, but I'm still doing it.

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
184-pin DDR1 PC3200 hand selected for having the most perfect looking box... >_>

It was not my first DDR1 stick. It was somewhere around the 12th.

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
Just because somebody mentioned that being mad at a company because you ended up with one stick that fried is a bad reason.

I will take the randomness crown though, for entirely unrelated reasons.

i_hate_flying

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
Thank you for your responses.

In case I didn't make it clear enough, I absolutely cannot buy the Super Talent memory.

So I'm to understand that Corsair is no longer a good brand for OCing, Kingston is and has always been crap for OCing, though it's good for stability, and OCZ is what I should go with for a good overclock?

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
I never got a fried module, I say they suck because of the IC they switched to, they used to use d9MGH, but now they use promos

and you weird one, get firefox 2.0, has a built in spell checker

Firefox had its chance. Actually it was building an empire up to 1.0.7.

Then 1.5 came. I got Opera.

Statross

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
too right, its all about experiance...you could be 8 years old and know more than all of us put together:p

but anyway, no ones mentioned crucial?
a long time ago when i was in the loop crucial was a name out there (i dont remember if it was for good or bad reasons) but anyway, RAM in the UK has just shot up in price:/ thank god i'm not building a system now...

but theres this crucial RAM for the same as this Corsair RAM...which is what i could see most poeple getting

now that corsair switched to crap ICs, and apparently kingston is shit for OCing ( and i cant find OCZ DDR2 800 anywhere anymore - it used to be nice and cheap, too) where does crucial stand?

also, what makes memory OCable? OCing memory is something i still dont fully grasp, CPU OCing i get perfectly but its integration with memory OCing i still dont get properly. and i have no idea what makes an OCable IC.

Statross

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
hmm, so do you know if crucial use those decent ICs?

do you knwo why corsair stopped using good ICs...just money?

so, a good IC rated at DDR2 800, 1.8v can take alot more volts (2.2/2.3?) and they can run higher than 800?

i think thats the main thing that confuses me, DDR2 800 can run higher than 800? how is that done? i've seen people talk about emmory OCing automatically as a result of doing something to the CPU (FSB?)

i_hate_flying

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
corsair, corsair, corsair, i will swear by them.
Please read the entire thread and you'll see that we just finished with that conversation. No offence meant. I was just about to buy the Corsair until Tacos mentioned the new ICs, whatever that means. I can understand most of what was said, but I have a long way to go it seems. Not sure if I want to get to that level of understanding, or just have intelligent 14-year-olds tell me what to buy!

I've seen that many people go with G.Skill too, but I can't buy that either.

Is OCing with 4gb of memory very different than with 2gb? If I was to get the OCZ now and add 2gb of Super Talent later, would OCing two different types of memory with a total of 4gb be even more different? Sorry for the novice questions, I'm just curious.

i_hate_flying

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
Also, 64bit environments and vista will take advantage of 2gb or more, but unless you plan to run vista, 4gb will be serious overkill
I want to go that route eventually, that's why I was asking. My New Year's resolution is to get 4gb running on this machine by 2008. :D