Choose your Case Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm taking suggestions for the theme of our next case review. We need to narrow the theme down to the point where less than a dozen products qualify.

You can use features, price, color, pretty much anything you want to narrow the field such as "Cases that support USB 3.0 and a two-fan radiator" as long as your criteria makes logical sense to the majority of readers and fits within a clean-looking title.

From this point I'm guessing I might get 10 or so different answers, but there won't be 10 or so different articles within the next month :p So, I'm going to ask you guys to follow up on the previous responses whenever possible so that at least a few of us can agree on the topic.

Thanks!

Solution
I would like to see the best air cooled cases from ~100$ to ~150$. this seems to be the average price spent on solid cases. It is also very difficult to tell cooling performance based on the number of fans a case has and cooling performance seems to be overlooked these days.
how about the best of the under $50 cases for us poor boys LOL
stuff like the Nzxt Gamma and Rosewill challenger (that will probably win LOL)

there are hundred of reviews for high end components because they are exciting

but how about the cheap stuff

can never find reviews on really budget stuff

with the economy the way it is

it would be nice to see a review on "el cheapo" cases

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I will just jump to the conclusion: Buy the Antec Three Hundred Illusion and if you can't afford it, buy the Three Hundred and add your own fans.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's been a while since I've seen a sub-$100 case that used metal as thick as the Three Hundred. And I've had a few Rosewill cases, they don't.

deadjon

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
Im on for the best case for Rads option - Im taking the leap into the world of Watercooling next year when the 7950/70 is released and I want to do it properly, and with a case that can handle an 'Over-Time' Watercooling project (240 rad for CPU first, then when I have more money a 360 Rad for GPU + North + Southbridge, then more etc. etc. etc)

I will bow to the master on this one
I dont have any experience with the three hundred
so I'm sure you are right

but the Rosewill challenger did get Toms Hardwares 2010 recommended buy award
that is the main reason I am seriously considering that case is because of the THG recommendation

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yeh yeh it's a nice case for the money. I just wish companies would build them solid, like they once did at this price, of which the Three Hundred is one of the few remaining examples.

I will have to check into the three hundred with such a resounding endorsement

I have to keep the case budget under $50 so i am open to suggestions from those like yourself who are wiser in the ways of the Force

I will go research the three hundred now

I just am dreading the nightmare I will probably have with the $15 case I linked LOL

I have my dremel and diagonal cutters handy for that one

but for $15 unless it falls to pieces in my hands (possibility) I wont complain

the watercooling case article would be very interesting

I was looking at the NZXT Gamma just because for $40 it is one of the few offering water mounting in that price range

I think that watercooling is getting to the point that soon you will see more mainstream users doing it unlike before where it was the territory of extremists

Mainly because of the silence factor especially with big powerful GPUs becoming more prevalent

bwf1975

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
A few a my friends been reading thread and we all say, we buy our cases on looks alone as a case is very personal thing.
How about just picking a few of the nicest looking cases by the tom's hardware staff.
I bought my corsair 600t se in white based on the fact i walked into shop and said i want that one please, as i fell in love there and then. :)

the three hundred is a great case
but I decided on the HAF 912

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233&Tpk=haf%20912

fits my $50 budget

and after so many OEM cases
I like the fact that it looks like the Terminator gave birth to it LOL
(plus alot of nice features of course)

like another poster said
picking a case is a personal thing
it is not only the features but the look of it too

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes. We're going with the big radiator cases first, then a series of $80-120 roundups to catch the "market sweet spot".

We could change the pricing a little.

Reducing the selection to include only cases with dual USB 3.0 ports on an internal connector, which was first launched by ASRock because of me. I didn't design it, but I can still take blame if you think it was a rushed design :) I was pushing pretty hard to get something released.

Status
Not open for further replies.