Choosing 1st DVD burner - trouble picking

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,tor.forsale.computers (More info?)

I'm looking at a few directories of TV show Xvid DVDrips (which I'm backing
up from DVD's I own of course) on my hard-drive that are 8GB+ each. I
think I'm getting a sore arm from loading CDRs all day to burn these
directories. It might be time for me to take the plunge and get a DVD
burner. I've read around a bit and everyone seems to like the lowcost
LiteOn drives. I have a couple of questions I hope you can help me with:

1) Is 8x really $20 better than 4x?
2) Since I'm backing up Xvids that wouldn't play with a standard DVD player,
do I need to get a +/- drive for compliance?
3) I will be buying a DVD player in the future that will play Xvid, divx,
etc. as well as standard DVDs (when they are available). Is it safe to
assume that it will play +/- if its advanced enough to do the other stuff?
4) Will I actually save money buying a cheap DVD burner & blank media over
buying enough CDs to burn all this stuff, or is it purely a convenience
thing?
5) Will + or - DVD's I burn be playable in my 4 year old DVD ROM?

Having answered those, I was wondering if you could give me your opinion on
a few options I found (up here in Canada). These are in Canadian dollars:

LITEON DVD+R/RW 4X4X12 CDRW 40X24X40 IDE RETAIL BOX W/ X-COPY EXPRESS
($99.98 + tax + shipping) from ncix.com

BenQ DVD Burner / 4x4x12x DVD+RW / 16x10x32x CD-RW / Nero Express / White
Box ($73.97 after rebate + tax + shipping) from Tiger Direct

LG GSA-4081B 8x+/4x- DVD Writer ($113 + tax) from pcvillagecanada.com

If you're still reading by here, THANK YOU. I'd really appreciate hearing
you opinion. Also, in case it matter, I run a Linux machine so whatever I
get must be Linux compatible. I'm sure the LG and LiteON drives are fine.
BenQ is probably too.

Thanks a lot,
Mitchua

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt (More info?)

Thanks Bob, John and Toshi for your insight. I took your advice and went
for the 8X LG 4081B. I'm having some trouble finding media that will burn
at 8/4x with it but I think I'm on the right track. Thanks again for your
help.

--Mitchua