Choosing a cheap mobo+cpu+ddr3

A_SN

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
I have a Q6600@1.6 GHz on a Gigabyte G41M-ES2L with 2x2GB DDR2-800, I'm happy with it except for the RAM, 4 GB is not enough and DDR2 is absurdly expensive, so I think it's time I change the whole thing. I try to only change motherboards once every 4 years so I'd like the next one to be a bit future proof as in not ending up in 3 years with absurdly expensive RAM like in my case with DDR2 or few better CPU choices (as in with LGA 775, you can't much better than Q6600, and it's all too expensive for what it is anyway).

It might sound weird but actually I really want a low-end CPU performance because I'm a developer and I need a low-end machine to make sure I develop stuff that works smoothly on low-end machines, something equal to a Q6600 would be perfect, but obviously not LGA 775 cause that's ancient. So no overclocking, I prefer keeping it cool and quiet, downvolt the CPU (my CPU runs with 0.88 volts now, the hottest core rarely goes above 30°C even though the fan's only doing 800 RPM lol) and slow down the fan. But it has to be a quad core also for development reasons but also because quad cores are great. So basically, a cheap quad core will do I guess, with the option to get a somewhat more powerful CPU years later when it gets cheaper hopefully (I guess the socket choice is crucial here) so that my system might stay low-endish but not outright outdated with no cheap parts left for it.

But I have no clue whether to look AMD's way or not, it seems cheaper but I get the feeling that AMD's not a popular choice. Plus I have no clue about any of their sockets and chipsets so I don't know what might be future-proof enough.

As for the RAM I know it has to be DDR3 and I know I want 8 GB right now, and if I keep it 4 years by then I'll probably want 16 GB. I guess then I should get 2 x 4 GB, and if the mobo has 4 RAM slots I can easily expand later. And it would be best if the motherboard has more than 4 USB ports in the back. But most crucially right now I need to determine which socket type+cpu combination would work best for me for cheap. Any suggestions?

Solution
AMD is a bit lower performance, but there's nothing wrong with it, it's a great lower cost alternative that plenty of us choose to use. Sadly, you won't find a modern processor (at least with the same number of cores) that will match your old Q6600 performance wise, improvements in manufacturing process and efficiency have put even the low-end processors past where you're standing right now. Something considered lower end but still modern would be an AMD APU, or the APU derived Athlon II's. If you want to keep options open in the future, an AM3+ board/cpu might be the way to go though as you can start with an FX 4100 (like the aforementioned athlon II's in terms of power), but then jump on up to an eight core steam roller chip down the...

Jaxem

Honorable
AMD is a bit lower performance, but there's nothing wrong with it, it's a great lower cost alternative that plenty of us choose to use. Sadly, you won't find a modern processor (at least with the same number of cores) that will match your old Q6600 performance wise, improvements in manufacturing process and efficiency have put even the low-end processors past where you're standing right now. Something considered lower end but still modern would be an AMD APU, or the APU derived Athlon II's. If you want to keep options open in the future, an AM3+ board/cpu might be the way to go though as you can start with an FX 4100 (like the aforementioned athlon II's in terms of power), but then jump on up to an eight core steam roller chip down the road for a massive performance increase (or any cpu in between depending on your needs). the AM3+ socket is amazing in it's versitility and will keep options open.

I would definitely suggest a mobo with 4 ram slots, and 8 GB to start with, which should be good for quite a while.

Do you have a budget it mind and i can suggest some boards/cpus?

Solution

A_SN

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
Great answer, thank you! I'd like to keep it cheap, I'd love to get the mobo+cpu+ram for less than $400, though looking at some prices on eBay in Europe I'm not sure it will be easy to find it all for so cheap.

A_SN

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
Thanks Jaxem and Calvin. I live in Berlin, Germany and usually I just order parts from eBay sellers in Europe (I'm new in Germany and don't know of any cheap stores here), so no newegg for me sadly.

Concerning APUs, are the worth it if I intend to keep my Radeon HD 5770? Are they more powerful or are they just similar to the Intel integrated graphics? I figured I would probably save money if I avoid having a redundant GPU in the processor.

A_SN

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
Alright I've done more research based on what you guys told me (thanks for that by the way), it seems AM3+ has a brighter future than FM2 (and I have a good GPU already) so I'm thinking of going for a FX-4100 on a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3. With 2x4GB DDR3 I found all of that at a local German Internet store for about 200 euros (U$ 270) before shipping.