Choosing a CPU Q&A needed, after problems with AMD or ASUS.

memphis_212

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013
Too many problems with new build using an FX8320+Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 mobo.

Micro stuttering, slow speed, and tons of OC'ing problems later after buying quality parts I am finally ready to throw in the towel and sell most of my build for 50% OFF TO MY BROTHER.

Yes ASUS has severely pissed me of with their "SUPPORT" on a 3yr warranty mobo, and even tech support for help.

All badmouthing and b.s. aside tho I am here to ask about INTEL processors from now on through MY WHOLE LIFE!!!

I was wondering with which I should go if I WANT TO DO EVERYTHING WITH MY COMPUTER!

rendering
video editing
coding
gaming
etc...

i5 or i7 and as to why, the benifits of more cache? I am stil confused on those things, and just plain details and infos to help me out and so i understand things better X99 worth it yet? DDR4 better/same?

I will continue to google and read until i get a response and guys........ thank you for all your efforts on me!

Solution
If you have the budget then yeah sure X99. I didn't have a big budget, so I looked for the mid range parts like the i5-6400 and MSI B150M-Bazooka ( yeah the name is super corny )

g1abhi

Expert
Ambassador
Jun 13, 2015
Same Here , its all on your budget , and if you make a living out of this PC , go for an i7 with a z170 board and you will do fine. x99 is premium and ddr4 doesnt make a difference but still buying ddr3 motherbaord now will be more hassle later since you wont get ddr3 modules easily 2 years ahead. Although there should always be a priority to invest money since it is a limited resource. So first think your budget , then allocate in this order:
CPU:
GPU:
SSD:
RAM:
Motherbaord: chosen on the basis of flashy and expensive vs cheaper and basic looks, features are pretty much same for z170 with SLI
HDD:get Raid setups
PSU: it is here because it can be bought only after deciding on other parts. Else its a high priority too.

Or you can give a budget and be flooded with build suggestions

memphis_212

Honorable
Aug 18, 2013

Thank you for your replys, keep in mind I currently have a full build just not happy with it and selling it.

I have Asus strix 970, H100i, case, antec hcg 850M (semi modular tho), 2x 4gb 2400 ripjaws..... thinking about pushing for a major CPU haul and buying here and there later for the better parts.

Just need tech info on where to go with an i7 ..... 1000$ cpus I dont see a need for really when the futuremark score only goes up 1-2k at best, sometimes only a few hundred in hundreds of dollars added.

What role does CPU cache play, I noticed some CPU's have 32mb...