Choosing a desk

John-13

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
Two questions:

1. Best height for a desk.

2. Which is best, Desk with one section (monitor, keyboard and mouse) or with two sections (one for the monitor and other for mouse and keyboard).

One more question...

Which distance between monitor and eyes is recommended.

Solution
agreed. between 2.5-3 feet is good. my own desk is at 32 inches and its perhaps 2" too high for my chair (what chair you pick also can affect desk height.

ideally when using it your arms should be at a 90 degree angle at your elbows. using a pull out kb tray means a higher desk. using a mouse on top of the desk means a lower desk.

which you prefer (pull out kb tray or just one solid desk) depends on your own preferences. personally i hate the pull out trays since they are flimsy and always move, never lock into position right so always push back in while in use and do not give me enough space. that is my own opinion for myself though.

i prefer large tables with lots of space (you can see what i use in the link on my sig) but others...

rvilkman

Distinguished
Well basically anything you are comfortable with and lets you use the kind of chair you want to use. Generally 2.5 - 3 feet is good.

Personally i've never been a fan of multiple sections on tables for use with computers. A basic desk with ample space for keyboard, mousepad, computer and monitor is fine. And of course you can put the computer on the floor if you prefer. Any adjustments that need to be done to the monitor height and such should be doable with the monitor itself ( at least if you have a good monitor ) and in general just having the pivot adjustment will make it so that you can adjust it to the right angle for you.

agreed. between 2.5-3 feet is good. my own desk is at 32 inches and its perhaps 2" too high for my chair (what chair you pick also can affect desk height.

ideally when using it your arms should be at a 90 degree angle at your elbows. using a pull out kb tray means a higher desk. using a mouse on top of the desk means a lower desk.

which you prefer (pull out kb tray or just one solid desk) depends on your own preferences. personally i hate the pull out trays since they are flimsy and always move, never lock into position right so always push back in while in use and do not give me enough space. that is my own opinion for myself though.

i prefer large tables with lots of space (you can see what i use in the link on my sig) but others are comfortable on smaller desks. personal preference.

if you want a very vague generalized suggestion for a desk....

one of those L shaped glass/aluminum desks at staples or other retailers or perhaps a wide wood desk.

my own desk is a retail clothing table (from sears) that was being thrown out. i refinished the top and it works great. its huge. one downfall is that its rather thick so i cannot lower it or it would hit the chair and my legs so the height is a bit too high however that doesnt bother me too much (i could always chop the fascia board off if i really cared about it that much). cannot beat the price of free though. (well.. technically $30 for the formica top...)

Solution

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts