[SOLVED] Choosing a Gaming Monitor

Aug 23, 2019
After looking everywhere I can't decide on what gaming monitor I need. I want a 144hz and 1ms response time bur can't decide. My budget is around 500AUD but I can spend over if it is really going to be worth it

I have an I5-8400 and a GTX 1060 6GB

Thank you

Solution
You're going to have a very hard time gaming on a 1440p display with a GTX 1060 unless 20-30fps is good enough for you. Personally, I'd recommend, if it's going to be a while before you get a GTX 1080, which might be pretty difficult unless you're going to take your chances on a used one because there really aren't any of those available new anymore at anything like a realistic price, that you focus on a monitor that will offer a decent experience with the graphics card you DO have. Things happen, like life, and you never know if that bigger card is going to end up happening anytime soon or at all, so then you end up stuck with a monitor that was intended for a graphics card that you never ended up being able to get, and gameplay ends...
What resolution are you planning to game at? You realize that even at 1080p you are not likely to ever come close to maintaining anything like 144hz with a GTX 1060 on anything demanding. On light eSports titles, you probably will. Certainly there are some games where it won't be a problem AND of course it highly depends on what kind of quality settings you are planning to run, but at high or ultra settings, that 1060 won't maintain a high enough frame rate to make having a 144hz display worthwhile.

If you only plan to play lighter games or you already know you will be dropping some sliders down on quality, then it makes sense. Also, your CPU model isn't going to help things in that area either since it's going to be largely responsible for maintaining a high frame rate if you do drop settings and it could struggle a bit as it's not a top tier CPU.

Are things like color accuracy and uniformity of black areas highly important to you or are the gaming specific features the higher priority?

What size panel are you wanting? What resolution?

Aug 23, 2019
What resolution are you planning to game at? You realize that even at 1080p you are not likely to ever come close to maintaining anything like 144hz with a GTX 1060 on anything demanding. On light eSports titles, you probably will. Certainly there are some games where it won't be a problem AND of course it highly depends on what kind of quality settings you are planning to run, but at high or ultra settings, that 1060 won't maintain a high enough frame rate to make having a 144hz display worthwhile.

If you only plan to play lighter games or you already know you will be dropping some sliders down on quality, then it makes sense. Also, your CPU model isn't going to help things in that area either since it's going to be largely responsible for maintaining a high frame rate if you do drop settings and it could struggle a bit as it's not a top tier CPU.

Are things like color accuracy and uniformity of black areas highly important to you or are the gaming specific features the higher priority?

What size panel are you wanting? What resolution?

In the future I plan to upgrade to a GTX 1080 so I wantes to buy a 144hz monitor so I wont have to buy one later down the line. Colour accuracy and things like that aren't too much of a concern to me but I would like them to be decent for movies and such. Im not really sure on a panel size but maybe 27" and I was exploring possibly a curved monitor but I am not sure. And with resolution I am really torn up between 1080 and 1440.
Thanks for responding also

You're going to have a very hard time gaming on a 1440p display with a GTX 1060 unless 20-30fps is good enough for you. Personally, I'd recommend, if it's going to be a while before you get a GTX 1080, which might be pretty difficult unless you're going to take your chances on a used one because there really aren't any of those available new anymore at anything like a realistic price, that you focus on a monitor that will offer a decent experience with the graphics card you DO have. Things happen, like life, and you never know if that bigger card is going to end up happening anytime soon or at all, so then you end up stuck with a monitor that was intended for a graphics card that you never ended up being able to get, and gameplay ends up sucking.

I wouldn't recommend anything higher than 1080p for your current graphics card.

Something like this would be a pretty good fit. And would still work fine when you get a bigger card. Hell, I'm gaming on 1080p with my RTX 2060 Super, with a 27" display, and I think it's just fine. I'm getting a better monitor because I want the G-sync capabilities, but the one I have is ok as is.

This for you, might be a good fit. Reviews are slim for that model, but there are a few reviews out there for the MAG271CR, that has a few more bells and whistles, but uses the same panel.

PCPartPicker Part List

Monitor: MSI Optix MAG271C 27.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor ($399.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Total: $399.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-24 16:56 AEST+1000

Otherwise, most of the monitors I see available in your region have some pretty glaring flaws unless you're willing to drop down to a 24" model or take a real performance hit and move up to 1440p, which will also likely mean spending a bit more than the 500 dollars you wanted to stick to.

Solution