Choosing a Linux OS for Home Server

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello,

I am looking for the right Linux based OS for creating a home server and gaining some experience. I would like to set up a Samba for file sharing, HTTP server for personal Wiki website, maybe a media streming server and in the future possibly other things.

The reasong for doing this is that I want to learn new things about setting up a personal servers and using a Linux in personal or small bussiness environment.

I dont want to use the ready-made solutions like FreeNAS, Amahi, Windows Media Server and similar, because it seems like an amateur solution and not enough compact, to me. The list I am choosing from is: Ubuntu Server, Debian, OpenSUSE and Fedora. But I am open to other choices.

I prefer:

• ■ Stable, efficient and secure environment
    ■ As little need to do updates as it is possible
    ■ "Good repository for server purposes"
    ■ Complex documentation

Thank you very much for any advice.

Personally, I use Mint for domestic use but my server - and that of many of my customers - is OpenSuse so that's my recommendation.

You might also like to look into the backup capabilities of AMANDA.

Stable, efficient and secure environment
As little need to do updates as it is possible
"Good repository for server purposes"
Complex documentation

Hard to beat Debian in any of these categories. Only other choice I would consider is CentOS, the community version of Red Hat. OpenSUSE is development versions of SUSE Enterprise, like fedora is development version of Red Hat. I would not use openSUSE or fedora in a production type environment.

G

Than you for your advice. :)

For home desktop I always use Ubuntu, primarily Xfce spin. I have almost no complains about functionality, except its GUI, Unity is just useless for me and Xfce is in some ways a little bit clumsy. So, I will definitely give a try to Mint and its Cinnamon, it seems to be a very good choice. It will be nice to see how it deals with updates and things like these.

G

Thanks for reply Skittle. Debian and CentOS will be probably the best in terms of my requirements. I will try at least on of them.

However, I thought that OpenSUSE is a community driven project sponsored by SUSE and not downright a developement version of SUSE Enterprise. Do you think that it makes OpenSUSE in some ways less reliable than the other?

McHenryB

Admirable

I wouldn't wish to persuade you away from Linux, but FreeNAS is far from an amateur solution. It is a very polished setup based on FreeBSD, which is arguably more stable than Linux, and the installation would be more compact than any of the Linux setups that you mention.

G

Thank you very much, based on your recommendation, I installed it in the Virtual Box and read something about it and I was very surprised, I have to change my previous statement. :-D

imort

Commendable
Jun 15, 2016
The list I am choosing from is: Ubuntu Server, Debian, OpenSUSE and Fedora. But I am open to other choices.

I prefer:

Stable, efficient and secure environment
As little need to do updates as it is possible
"Good repository for server purposes"
Complex documentation

I can recommend you to use Debian. Ubuntu server is about the same but I more like Debian as a mainstream.
It has great stability, wide support available and software availability in repositories.

Your requirements will be very easy to install: you can find multiple how-to guides about installing Apache, Samba server and Plex server in the web.

If you have more questions I'll be glad to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.