Choosing a Motherboard

zephyrus005

Prominent
Jan 25, 2018
Hi to everyone! I have an Alienware x51 r2 and would like to change the motherboard in order to install some more fans for better airflow in my case. The current one i am having doesn't have enough ports for more fans unfortunately (mini-ITX). After some research i found out that i can get an ATX Motherboard LGA 1150 that is compatible with the Motherboard i currently have.

1) Is LGA 1150 really compatible with Alienware's Motherboard?
2) Will the 2x 8 Gb RAM that i have be compatible also (all i can say is that they are Intel ones)
3) In order not to re-install windows i should check if the Chipset is compatible with the rest of my components, right?

Note: If you guys can show me some compatible motherboards i would really appreciate it. Feel free to ask me any further information that you might need. Thanks!

Solution
Couple issues, when you upgrade a motherboard you pretty much have to reinstall Windows, otherwise you will have all sorts of driver issues. Second issue depending ont he Version of windows you have OEMs can only be reinstalled on the same hardware as the computer shipped with, meaning you would have to buy a new license key.

Adding more fans isnt necessarily going to improve air flow, more isnt always better. I would just replace the stock fans that came with the case with higherquality ones or if you still want more get a PWM hub.
Couple issues, when you upgrade a motherboard you pretty much have to reinstall Windows, otherwise you will have all sorts of driver issues. Second issue depending ont he Version of windows you have OEMs can only be reinstalled on the same hardware as the computer shipped with, meaning you would have to buy a new license key.

Adding more fans isnt necessarily going to improve air flow, more isnt always better. I would just replace the stock fans that came with the case with higherquality ones or if you still want more get a PWM hub.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS