Question Choosing a new CPU

TheeCatalyst21

Reputable
May 23, 2019
Right now i have a HP compaq 6000 pro Sff, running Windows 7 pro 64bit, with 4 DDR3 ram, intel core 2 duo e7500, PSU of 240w, no VC just the integrated intel graphics.
Im planing on boosting the ram up to 8 GB & getting a VC GTX 710.
But im stuck with the budget I've got(very low) & i can't choose which CPU i should get Intel core 2 duo E8600 2.66 ghz or intel core 2 quad Q9400. Please help

RayOfDark

Reputable
May 16, 2019
Are you able to source a Q9650 within your price range? That's the quickest CPU on the supported list. If you do get one, make sure you have a decent heatsink and fan to go with it as your current one won't be up to the job.

RayOfDark

Reputable
May 16, 2019
I must admit, I was surprised to see the Q9650 on the supported list. Maybe the extra 30W for that and around an extra 20W for the GT 710 (I'm assuming the OP means a GT 710) might be pushing it a little.

TheeCatalyst21

Reputable
May 23, 2019
I was surprised too, when i did i research on what CPU the computer can support. But yes the power supply is one of the main problem i cannot upgrade it, i bought the thing because it was cheap & small. I don't really plan on playing modern games with it just the one's i have on my laptop which range from COD modern warfare MGSV, & TES skyrim.

(i have edited this multiple times my english is that good)

Likely, your performance problem if you are gaming will be the graphics card.
A GT710 is an entry level card that will not be any sort of an upgrade.
There are a number of better graphics cards that will run on 240w without the need for aux 6 pin power.
A GTX1030 would qualify and would be a very good boost in gaming capability.
I would do that first.

Some games need 4 threads to run. If you want to play one of those, pick a Qxxx processor upgrade.
Past that, the single thread performance of all of the discussed options do not differ significantly.

8gb of ram is recommended and should be plenty.

RayOfDark

Reputable
May 16, 2019
Bear in mind that there are two different versions of the GT 1030. The original with GDDR5 VRAM which nearly all performance benchmarks are taken from, and the more recent DDR4 VRAM version that only has around half the real-world performance.

Power requirements are 30W and 20W respectively.

quaackl0l

Reputable
Jul 26, 2017
Can my computer even run a GDDR5 video card?

It certainly will. But you're limited to the small form factor case. GT 1030 or LP GTX 750 Ti is your best option. There is GTX 1050 LP but i strongly don't recommend it. very bad value.

which CPU i should get Intel core 2 duo E8600 2.66 ghz or intel core 2 quad Q9400.

A Core 2 Quad is the very minimum choice for a starter gaming machine. I run Q9400, in eSports game i've managed to run around 84fps average, that with 768p res & all settings down to low. GPU is my limiting factor.

Can my computer even run a GDDR5 video card?
Not to worry.
The type of ram on a graphics card is irrelevant.
It is used only by the card and has no connection with the motherboard or anything else.

I think your results will be better if you bought the graphics card first.
Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.