[SOLVED] Choosing a New GPU

Jan 25, 2020
Thanks in advance for the help, I'm a total newbie at PC building and would like the opinion whether it is worthwhile/possible to upgrade my GPU only to extend the life of my computer or whether I need to start from scratch. I obviously know new will be better but a short term boost (12-18 months) would let me save for a better 'new' system when it is eventually time. I am able to spend about £2-300 immediately.

Usage: Gaming (Sea of Thieves, Last Jedi, Overwatch (best settings possible); streaming twitch, youtube etc. to watch.

Current GPU and PSU: Nvidia Geoforce 960gtx & Corsair VS550

Other System Specs
  • CPU: Intel Core i5-4690k @3.5GHz 3501 MHz 4 cores
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z97P-D3
  • Ram: 24 GB DDR3
Preferred website for parts: I usually use www.aria.co.uk for basics, but happy to use any site that delivers to the UK with a reasonable cost.

Parts preference: none

Overclocking:
No

SLI or Crossfire: maybe

Monitor resolution: 1920x1080

Additional comments: Happy to be told just put the GPU money to savings and wait to get a better system. Increased performance at higher graphic settings is my goal, but if there is not a significant boost at my current price range I'm happy to wait. I am struggling to be sure what out there is compatible in the first place so I can do genuine comparisons.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Only thing I see as an issue is the power supply. Haven't heard great things about the Corsair VS series. I'll let some of the more knowledgeable members about power supplies comment, but it seems I remember people not recomending those units.

Have a look at this thread. Specifically the guy named jonnyguru is known for doing testing and teardowns of power supplies. So he knows his stuff. Read specifically his posts as he gives a bit more insight than I'm able to.

Last edited: