Choosing a new x299 board

Dec 4, 2018
Hi all. My x299 MB is slowly leaving this world, and I need to replace it. I've read many reviews of x299 boards ( including Toms hardware), and I cant decide on one. My computer doubles for my gaming rig, and runs my wife's PhD research in genetics and bioinformatics. I was looking at MSI, Asus, and ASRock (Leaving out gigabyte because thats the MB I have thats diying). The boards I was looking at is: MSI gaming pro carbon ac, Asus strix gaming e, Asus prime Delux, and ASRock Fatal1ty professional gaming i9. I want to stay sub 400, but if the best option for us is a bit more I can swing it. If anyone has these boards and can tell me their experience with them, it would be appreciated.

Solution

I believe any of those should work ok.I had...

xxxlun4icexxx

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

I believe any of those should work ok.I had a MSI tomahawk arctic for my x299. Worked great. ASRock boards are generally pretty sturdy too.

I like the looks of the asus strix board and it also seems to be the most cost efficient. Maybe look into that one?

Unfortunately motherboards are just that type of item where there's a decent probability you'll get a defective/doa one. But all the mainstream brands generally make some pretty good ones. Just down to the exact features you need.

Solution
While I dont have a x299 system, I do have an x399 for Threadripper and I almost got the Asrock Taichi. I chose a different motherboard due to RAM compatibility problems (which you wont have). But the Taichi was a lot of mobo for a good price. So it may be the same for the x299 platform and may be worth looking into.

Dec 4, 2018

I like the looks of the Strix board to. That might be the way I go. The main reason I was having hesitation with it is because of the vertical m.2 slot.