Choosing a PSU - HELP!

duncjam

Reputable
Jan 19, 2017
Hi All

I'm building my first PC and I'm still a little iffy on what sort of choice I should make regarding a PSU. I've put my parts into a calculator at OuterVision and it reckons I need somewhere in the region of 437W, but I'm unsure as to what tier I should go for, how much room I should leave to grow my system, how important the grade of 80+ rating is etc.

My rig will be made up of:

Mobo: ASUS Z170-P (not Pro Gaming)
CPU: i5-6600K
GPU: GTX 760 (my friend is giving me his old one, I will upgrade this at some point in the future, maybe a couple of years down the line)

RAM: 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO
HDD: WD Blue 5400RPM 2TB
Fans: 1CPU fan (not sure which one as CPU and fan came affixed to mobo as part of a bundle)
2 x 120mm case fans (stock with Aerocool DS200 Case)
5.25”: Samsung DVD RW
Screen: 24-inch, probably IPS, yet to decide
Regular mouse and keyboard for now

I’ve looked around and EVGA definitely seem to be the way to go. I’ve seen the EVGA 500W at £45 and the EVGA 650 G2 at £92. I have a tendency to think “Might as well just get the better one!” and go a little overkill, so I was just wondering what people would recommend for the above rig? Would getting the latter, Gold rated system save me money in the long run? Will it make a big difference in performance? The main difference I can definitely see is a 3 Year vs. 7 Year warranty (outside of wattage etc.) – is this a good indicator of quality?

I’m looking for it to be my gaming machine, replacing consoles in future, and to do graphic design on (any advice on which screen to go for that will suit both of those tasks well?) as well as a bit of audio and video editing, and would like it to grow over time. Budget isn’t a massive issue but at the same time I don’t want to overspend for the sake of it given I’m not building a pro gaming machine or anything.

Any advice that can be given would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
D

Deleted member 1443762

If you want to be safe, go for a 750w. A little too much maybe but that way you won't be worried, and you will be a bit future proof if you decide to make changes later on. I have a Corsair HX750W. Gaming, editing, general use. Can't go wrong.

Hi - If you can fit the G2 650 in your budget that is def the way to go. EVGA has some very good quality
PSU's and some that are only so-so such as the 500w mentioned. You are right the 3 yr warranty is an
indication of quality.

Since that sys will run on a decent 500w unit there is no need to go to a 750w unit. The 650 G2 will alow you
to upgrade to almost any single GPU out there without having to upgrade the PSU.

Solution