Choosing a RAID controller for Windows 10

tombraiderfanatic

Honorable
Mar 24, 2015
I have been looking at RAID controller cards with a view to getting one to increase my storage capacity. However I have not so far found one that claims to be compatible with Windows 10.

Now I appreciate that there are two types of RAID controller card, software controlled and hardware controlled, the latter being more expensive. I am happy to go with software controlled as I do not require blistering performance. However this of course will require drivers which may present compatibility issues with Windows 10 (with which I have already had compatibility issues with certain drivers).

So does anyone have any words of wisdom to offer please?

Solution

Any SATA card would do it, you can get a 8 port sata controller card for very cheap.
RAID 1 should be easy enough to handle within windows.
I wouldn't worry about a raid capable card, just get some more sata ports and you'll be good.

what is the reason for needing an add on card at all?

Your motherboard has between 4 and 8 SATA ports built into it, are they all occupied?

tombraiderfanatic

Honorable
Mar 24, 2015
All of my SATA ports are occupied. I want to simply add some more disk drives which I prefer to keep as a Mirror RAID. My disks are all 5Tb so up-sizing the disks will not make much difference. I have a massive data cache that is growing.

Any SATA card would do it, you can get a 8 port sata controller card for very cheap.
RAID 1 should be easy enough to handle within windows.
I wouldn't worry about a raid capable card, just get some more sata ports and you'll be good.

Solution

agello24

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Hello, did you ever find a compatible sata controller card? im in the market to get one that runs in windows 10.