Choosing a second graphics card

zoli81

Prominent
Jun 14, 2017
Hi,

I am trying to choose a second GPU that works well with my system and satisfies my needs.

Current setup:
P7P55D motherboard - 1x PCIe 2.0 x16 & 1x PCIe x4.
Graphics card: XFX Radeon HD 6950 with 2x display ports, 2x DVI and 1x HDMI.

I have 3 monitors connected via 2x display ports and 1x DVI, and the HDMI is connected to a AV receiver for surround sound and 3D TV so that's a maximum of 4 displays already connected to the card.

Now I want to connect one more monitor.

In theory, I could just put any secondary graphics card with a DVI or Displayport output into the second PCIe x4 port to connect up that monitor, BUT
the problem I am having with the current setup is that every time I switch on or off the AV receiver, or switch input on it, the graphics card detects that (as monitor being connected/disconnected) and all the other 3 monitors start to flicker and screen contents jump around between screens so I need to rearrange everything.

So to solve that problem I was thinking to connect the AV receiver to the second graphics, and have all 4 monitors on the first (Radeon HD 6950).
However, as 3D contents also pass thru the AV receiver to the 3D TV via HDMI, I need a good enough graphics card that is capable of playing Blueray 3D contents, apparently I need at least one of the AMD Radeon HD 6000 series with UVD3 support for that.

The question is, would another Radeon HD6xxx in a PCIe x4 slot be able to play 3D content (and surround sound)?

Any setup ideas to solve the above problem would be appreciated.

Thanks

jakubek160

Respectable
May 22, 2017
To solve this I recommend going nvidia. Amd doesn't handle 4 monitors as well as green team. At least I had these problems with radeon 7700 , rx 580 etc. in my friends house. Another gpu like a crossfire will not solve the problem. I would recommend something like gtx 1050 if you can afford it. If not I recommend buying a gtx 950. :)

zoli81

Prominent
Jun 14, 2017
Those cards need pcie 3, and also my secondary pcie 2.0 slot is only x4.
What I am after is the minimum graphics specs for what I need as described above and the motherboard is capable of handling. Thanks.