Question Choosing a well balanced gaming laptop

Jun 1, 2020
Hello everyone this is my first thread so here we go. I'm looking for a well balanced gaming laptop under or around $1000 USD for moderate gaming and school work. It needs to be strong enough to run engineering software like CAD and such. I want it to last as long as possible so thermals are important. here is a list of the preferred specs
  1. Screen: minimum 14", minimum 60Hz, IPS, 1080p, better than average color accuracy (will be watching movies on it sometimes so a good screen is preferred)
  2. Processor: minimum of 6 cores, intel or AMD doesn't matter. as long as it lasts and can be undervolted to reduce thermals.
  3. GPU: GTX 1650 or better (or AMD equivalent as long as it lasts and can be undervolted to reduce thermals).
  4. RAM: 8gb RAM not soldered (single channel or dual doesn't matter)
  5. Storage: at least 256gb for boot with a hard drive for storing info.
  6. Ports: good selection of ports, but it's not a big deal
  7. Build Quality: I dont care if its all plastic as long as its sturdy with not much flex
Keyboard is not a major deal since im going to buy a mechanical keyboard for gaming. Same with the tracker, it doesnt have to be glass but i do want it precise.
preferred battery life is atleast 4 hours of light use while not gaming. undervolting and toggeling between integrated graphics and gpu will lengthen the life.
im not going to play the latest games. games like destiny and some survival games are my thing.
im going to be switching from a dell latitude E5440 which is god awful so really anything will be an improvement

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 1, 2020

I have checked out some reviews and honestly i cant really trust Walmart gaming laptops. the Evoo has questionable build quality so im not going to go for it. Im debating on whether i should get the legion y540 or dell g7. both are really good specs for around $1050-$1075 right now

Jun 3, 2020
I have checked out some reviews and honestly i cant really trust Walmart gaming laptops. the Evoo has questionable build quality so im not going to go for it. Im debating on whether i should get the legion y540 or dell g7. both are really good specs for around $1050-$1075 right now
But it is hard to beat those specs for that price point.