Question Choosing between 1440p 144hz and 4K 60hz

Oct 5, 2018
Hello!

I want to buy a new monitor, but I can't decide if I should buy 1440p 144hz or 4K 60hz monitor.
I have one 1440p 144hz TN monitor and have tested the fps difference with it. I have seen the most difference in fast-paced games. On slower singleplayer games like RPG-s and such, I haven't really noticed a dramatic difference.
I plan to play slower games on this monitor.
I have heard that 4K doesn't give a big sharpness and detail upgrade over 1440p. I don't have personal experience with 4K so I don't know if that is true.
I know that there is a difference between 60hz and 144hz but since I don't notice it much in slower games then I gravitate more to 4K monitor side. But if there is not much difference between 1440p and 4K then 1440p 144hz monitor is a better option.
I have 1080Ti GPU and plan on upgrading soon, so playing 4K won't be a big problem.

Hope someone can help make up my mind.

Unfortunately there isn't much more information that people can give you to help you decide between the two. It all comes down to what you want to use it for. If your primary use is for gaming, then go with the 144hz even if all the games you play don't benefit from it. Depending on the size of the monitor you might not notice a difference between 1440p and 4k. The larger the monitor gets the more noticeable it will be I think upwards of 30 inch displays are necessary to see the difference from the normal seating position. If resolution and refresh rate aren't swaying your position, then focus on other metrics like color accuracy, response time, brightness, HDR support, or whatever else might be important to you... VESA mounting? I dunno. When I'm shopping for monitors it helps to actually look at them to make my decision. If you can find a way to do that, then that would be the best way to go.

Oct 5, 2018
Unfortunately there isn't much more information that people can give you to help you decide between the two. It all comes down to what you want to use it for. If your primary use is for gaming, then go with the 144hz even if all the games you play don't benefit from it. Depending on the size of the monitor you might not notice a difference between 1440p and 4k. The larger the monitor gets the more noticeable it will be I think upwards of 30 inch displays are necessary to see the difference from the normal seating position. If resolution and refresh rate aren't swaying your position, then focus on other metrics like color accuracy, response time, brightness, HDR support, or whatever else might be important to you... VESA mounting? I dunno. When I'm shopping for monitors it helps to actually look at them to make my decision. If you can find a way to do that, then that would be the best way to go.
Thank you for the advice.