[SOLVED] Choosing CPU

NaufalR9708

Prominent
Mar 29, 2020
so I'm confused choosing the best cpu for gaming between r5 3600, r5 3600x, i5 9400f, i5 9600k, and i5 9600kf. and i'm using gtx 1660 super. which is the most suitable? (I didn't think to overclock the CPU)

Solution
What kinds of games do you play?
If you play multiplayer games with many participants, you want a cpu with many threads.
ryzen ifs very good for that. The 3600 has 12 threads.
If you play cpu centric games like sims, strategy and mmo then you want a processor with fast single thread performance.
On your list, the 9600K or Kf would be best.
Using the intel performance maximizer app, you are likely to get around 5.0. ryzen might top out around 4.3.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-cpu-auto-overclock-performance-maximizer,6179.html

Unless you are in a big rush, I would wait to see what the april intel launch is going to be.
Leaks indicate more threads, higher clocks and prices competitive with ryzen.

Fast action games...
Honestly, at high settings, all of those CPUs will not limit your GPU so performance should be similar.

I would avoid the I5s, since they are plagued with stutter when you pair a high end GPU with them due to their lack of hyperthreading.

Ryzen 5 3600x would be my pick, or maybe the cheaper 3600.

NaufalR9708

Prominent
Mar 29, 2020
Honestly, at high settings, all of those CPUs will not limit your GPU so performance should be similar.

I would avoid the I5s, since they are plagued with stutter when you pair a high end GPU with them due to their lack of hyperthreading.

Ryzen 5 3600x would be my pick, or maybe the cheaper 3600.
okay maybe I would think of buying 3600 or 3600x

What kinds of games do you play?
If you play multiplayer games with many participants, you want a cpu with many threads.
ryzen ifs very good for that. The 3600 has 12 threads.
If you play cpu centric games like sims, strategy and mmo then you want a processor with fast single thread performance.
On your list, the 9600K or Kf would be best.
Using the intel performance maximizer app, you are likely to get around 5.0. ryzen might top out around 4.3.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-cpu-auto-overclock-performance-maximizer,6179.html

Unless you are in a big rush, I would wait to see what the april intel launch is going to be.
Leaks indicate more threads, higher clocks and prices competitive with ryzen.

Fast action games will be limited mostly by your gpu.

Solution