[SOLVED] Choosing Fans and CPU Cooler

Aug 13, 2019
Greetings Sir,
I'm aspiring for a tranquil expierence while playing games like Kingdom Come Deliverance, Cyberpunk 77, The Witcher 3 with quite high graphics.

So next to the question
:
I'm looking for really quiet fans for my computer but I'm worried if they will not be sufficient. As example of how many fans would be required/recommended for the computer.
Right now I'm looking to have fans for lower than 10dB and these are the only 2 compatible products beneath 10decibels ( This is according to a swedish website I used to come to a list of compatible products available for builds you personally handpick)
Noctua NF-S12B Redux 120mm 700rpm 6.8 ,
Noctua NF-S12A ULN 120mm 800rpm 8.6dB.

Other options would be higher dB fans with less number of fans if the outcome would be a lower amount of dB.

The build so far:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 36MB
GPU: Powercolor Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB
Mothercard: Gigabyte X570 GAMING X
RAM: Ballistix 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2400MHz CL16 Sport
SSD: Intel 660p 512GB
PSU: Undecided and will probably ask about it too in the appropriate forum section.
Chassi: Any kind which would isolate the sound more (silencing)

An additional question I have is about the CPU Cooler.
Should I add an alternative to the one given by the Ryzen 5 3600 (AMD Wraith Stealth Cooler (no LED) ). In that regard so was I thinking of the praised NH-u12A which the channel Linus Tech tips Showcased(Title of Video: Why you shouldn't water Cool your PC
), my only issue if I would be overdoing it in such case when it has already included a fan with the CPU.

___

I have a bit feeling of uncertainty over parts of the build so I would welcome other remarks of how potentially the build could be improved
My budget is about 12 000-14 000 Sek /or in US Dollar 1260-1470 Dollars. When it comes to silencing parts so is there no issue if it was 3000SEK/315 dollars extra to the budgets.

P.S In Sweden so is electronics a bit more expensive compared to US so there is a potential issue with budget cost recommendations but it is just a minor issue.
P.S.S this is another try to post the post, I assumed it took to long time for me to write it down the first time and the server pheraps didn't register the first one.
With sincere thanks and appreciation from Jonathan

Solution
You can get any fan under 10db. Fan db itself is subjective since there's no standard testing methodology, some are tested at 1ft away, some at 1m away (3.3ft). And all given results are at maximum rpm, which no pc usually ever has a need to run case fans at, unless you are sitting on a Hotbox.

Anything under @ 20db is quiet-silent, as is most fans under @ 700rpm, with a sharper curve in noise after that. So it's a balancing act between fan rpm, fan cfm and db. A 50cfm 2000rpm fan at 30db running 1000rpm is roughly the same as a 30cfm 1000rpm fan 20db at 1000rpm.

So just going by cfm or db or rpm alone is useless. The S series fans rely heavily on rpm to get cfm and have almost no static pressure, so are good for exhausts, but lousy...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You can get any fan under 10db. Fan db itself is subjective since there's no standard testing methodology, some are tested at 1ft away, some at 1m away (3.3ft). And all given results are at maximum rpm, which no pc usually ever has a need to run case fans at, unless you are sitting on a Hotbox.

Anything under @ 20db is quiet-silent, as is most fans under @ 700rpm, with a sharper curve in noise after that. So it's a balancing act between fan rpm, fan cfm and db. A 50cfm 2000rpm fan at 30db running 1000rpm is roughly the same as a 30cfm 1000rpm fan 20db at 1000rpm.

So just going by cfm or db or rpm alone is useless. The S series fans rely heavily on rpm to get cfm and have almost no static pressure, so are good for exhausts, but lousy for intakes, the A x25 series are considerably better for intakes.

Reactions: Faldomir
Solution