Choosing IPS monitor ~200$

Vabla

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014
I'm looking for a decent IPS monitor around the 200$ mark.
Only really care about the panel itself (namely color representation, stable colors from different angles, no backlight bleeding etc.) so any added features like speakers, USB ports or whatever are irrelevant to me.

Looking for the standard 23" 1920x1080@60Hz. Not looking for a gaming monitor as my typical games don't require the extra reaction speed.

Would much prefer a glossy finish as my current monitor (BenQ GL2250) has a matte surface which makes whites look like snow which really bugs me (I do coding and some graphics work now and then).

Spent at least a day trying to find one that I would be confident in buying to no avail (mostly due to lack of proper reviews that don't focus on irrelevant things like design).
Was looking at Asus VX239H until I realized it had a matte finish (seems manufacturers avoid listing that for whatever reason).

EDIT: Currently looking at S2340L as my top choice (S2340M isn't available here).

Thank you for any assistance.

I hate glossy finishes on monitors personally, Matte everytime.

I was looking for a monitor with similar goals as you and decided on the Asus PB238Q. 8bit eIPS panel, 1080p@60hz, good stand, all the connectivity you could want and factory calibrated to the Adobe sRGB standard. Its intended for designer type work and has a bunch of features to that aim.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236292&cm_re=PB238Q-_-24-236-292-_-Product
Of course, it is a Matte finished panel though :p.

Vabla

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014

PB is the professional series, right? True 8 bit color must be nice, but it's around 320$ in my country (Lithuania), a "bit" over the budget :(

I wouldn't mind the slightly worse color vibrancy on the matte finish, but the grainy effect it has on uniform color has been driving me absolutely crazy. Figured I'd better have some minor reflections that I can just ignore instead. Bet I'll be hating the glossy finish as well though, can't wait for actual neural interfaces :p

PB to my knowledge is revision two of the PA (ProArt) series.
In that case, I would be pretty much looking for whatever IPS panel you can get your hands on. It might not get you better colour than a typical TN panel, but you wont get the colour warp looking at the monitor from weird angles.

My distate of Glossy panels came from a classroom where all the computers monitors were roughly pointed to the center of the (very well lit) room, right where an overhead light was. No matter which computer you were on, you would get a bright spot and your reflection somewhere on your screen.

Were getting to Nueral interfaces... eventually.
I mean, with Oculus were strapping screens directly to our face, thats some of the distance between screen and brain covered :lol:.

Vabla

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014

Not going to have any lights directly behind me. And when the sun turns around to shine, no amount of matte will save from the glare as it just beams right on the screen anyway. I also like working at night hours, so that's extra points to the gloss finish.

Any idea about Dell S2340L? Seems there's a whole lot of good reviews and even TFT Central recommends it. Really wish there were more real technical details on monitors (like if it's 6bit+FRC or proper 8bit).

Vabla

Reputable
Sep 5, 2014
Shameless bump...

After a whole lot more of research, going through like 6 shops to check out monitors (GOD they sell some horrendous TFT monitors at some places), getting horrified by the backlight leaks and glow on S2340L...

I've narrowed down my options to Dell P2414H vs U2414H.

Does anyone actually know how different the panels are? Everything I managed to find online kept mentioning the connectivity as the only difference, but I'm doubtful. Or does the U just have a tiny bit better gamut and more options?