Arav13

Reputable
Apr 17, 2016
Hello Experts! I need your help and support in choosing very high-end components for building my own PC.

Purpose for Purchase:
1.) Electrical circuit analysis in applications: Multisim, OrCAD Pspice, MATLAB, PSIM, AutoCAD, MS Office, etc. Multi-tasking in multiple applications simultaneously.
2.) Working with photos in Adobe Photoshop.
3.) Working with applications from step 1 inside of several virtual machines.
4.) Entertainment: movies, music, reading

The list below is not chiselled in stone, it is merely an estimate. Please make any suggestions and guides as to what you believe should be replaced/changed for better alternative in this parts list.

i9-9900K
NZXT Kraken X72 Liquid Cooler
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO
64Gb DDR4 3200MHz G.Skill Trident Z RGB (F4-3200C14Q-64GTZR)(4x16Gb KIT)
Samsung 970 Pro 1 Tb
WD Red Pro 4 Tb
GeForce GTX1660 Ti ASUS PCI-E 6144Mb
750W SeaSonic SSR-750PD2 PRIME Ultra
Fractal Design Define S2 Blackout TG Black

Also, once I do receive all of the parts, please suggest a guide for assembly. The way I understand sequence of steps is as follows:
**Please make a suggestion if I should purchase an optical drive?
1.) Install motherboard
2.) Install PSU
3.) Mate connections from PSU to motherboard and CPU
4.) Install RAM, HDD/SSD
5.) Mate connections from HDD/SSD to motherboard and PSU
6.) Install front panel connections to motherboard
7.) Install graphics card
8.) Install CPU + apply thermal compound
9.) Install liquid cooling system/tubing and CPU waterblock
10.) Install case fans
11.) Potentially install optical drive (Need Your Suggestion for purchase)
12.) Boot PC and choose to boot from USB in bios settings to install Windows 10 X64

Solution
The configuration looks ok to me.
I would suggest this order:
  1. Install CPU, apply thermal compound, install CPU cooler.
  2. Insert single RAM module.
  3. Connect monitor to motherboard (motherboard placed on its box, not installed in the case).
  4. Connect power supply cables to motherboard and start the board. Test if working.
  5. If ok, disconnect power supply cables, monitor and install motherboard in the case. Take care to standoffs to be correctly positioned (each standoff has to match a board screw hole).
  6. Mount the cooler radiator.
  7. Connect the power supply cables and front panel wires..
  8. Install the other RAM modules, storage drive/s.
  9. Install the graphics card.
  10. Connect the monitor to graphics card (not to...
  3. Connect monitor to motherboard (motherboard placed on its box, not installed in the case).
  4. Connect power supply cables to motherboard and start the board. Test if working.
  5. If ok, disconnect power supply cables, monitor and install motherboard in the case. Take care to standoffs to be correctly positioned (each standoff has to match a board screw hole).
  10. Connect the monitor to graphics card (not to motherboard) and start the board.
You would not need an optical drive. Use an USB drive and Microsoft Media Creator tool to save the install kit on it.

Last edited:
Solution

Arav13

Reputable
Apr 17, 2016
Hello Mates,

I have good news to share with all of you. I have successfully assembled my computer based on the above list and installed Windows 10 x64. I am writing this message from my new machine.
I do have additional questions I would like to ask:
  • What is the proper orientation of chassis fans? Are the default chassis fans sufficient?
  • Should the label on fans which are mounted to the front of case be pointing into the case or away from it?
  • Based on viewed videos and my readings online I am receiving mixed information. I figure I can receive some quality feedback from you regarding my question. I have three 3-pin Fractal Design chassis fans. P.S. Temperature results (no OC performed yet) are also attached below. Let me know if they are good.
  • Please see the photos of my situation attached below. Any Suggestions for better case?
  • I think I could have purchased a better case. The Fractal Design S2 Blackout forced me to position my radiator for the AIO at the top of the case and not on the front. The reason for this is because the radiator was simply too large in length and it was not possible to mount it to the front.
  • In installing the AIO radiator and fans I used the (indirect method). My three NZXT AIO fans are attached to the top of the Fractal Design S2 Blackout case. I oriented those fans such that the grille (sticker side) is facing upward. I worked off the example in this Youtube video: LINK
  • Please let me know if this is the correct orientation of the fans, or if I should re-orient them the opposite way.
  • Another issue was when I attempted to install the radiator bracket with the three NZXT fans. I have two fairly flat but wide CPU power cable connections. I used both the 8-pin (coming from 1 CPU cable) and another 4-pin (coming from another CPU cable). Both of these I routed from the top grommet to be as close to the board connecter as possible (board layout attached below) which obstructed some space when I tried lowering the top radiator bracket. Once I realized this, I had to play around with the top grommets and try feeding my CPU cables through the center-top grommet (not through the top-left), unscrew the three NZXT fans + radiator, screw them into the furthest groove in the case radiator bracket away from the motherboard side, which gave me small, but enough space to lower that bracket down without catching on the cables. I also bent those CPU cables somewhat so that enough space may be made.
  • Now I am afraid I might have caused some damage to those motherboard connectors or the CPU cables while lowering the bracket. What do you think?
Any quality feedback is highly appreciated.

10. Connect the monitor to graphics card (not to motherboard) and start the board.
You would not need an optical drive. Use an USB drive and Microsoft Media Creator tool to save the install kit on it.

Last edited:

Arav13

Reputable
Apr 17, 2016
alexoiu,

Thank you for the response. I have verified the orientation of the fans - All Correct.
Do you have any suggestions for a different, high-quality case?

Arav13

Reputable
Apr 17, 2016
You're welcome.
I think that it's decent enough. Any issue experiencing?
What would be the budget and requirements for a new case?
From my experience, I have yet to meet a "perfect" case. Maybe there are, but they exceeded my budget :).
I want to say I had a ton of fun and genuine interest in assembling my first build. I am lucky it turned out the way it did – overall success on first attempt. I would like to thank you and other kind people for making these correct suggestions. I found myself thinking that I want to assemble another build(s).

I did, however, have a few :mad:against Fractal Design Define S2:

• Poor access to EPS headers (8-pin and 4-pin CPU power)
  • As you see in the images, my first cable route was directly through the top grommet and into the 8-pin and 4-pin connectors, respectively. This was a hiccup for me because I excitedly assembled the radiator to the three 120mm (each) fans to the radiator bracket and while I was lowering that assembly I did not realize (at first) that those cables are in the way. Only after I looked inside more carefully, I saw that the radiator is pushing down on those cables. I disconnected everything and routed my cables through the top-center grommet. Still, the radiator was hitting those cables. Only after I unscrewed my radiator/three fan assembly and moved it further away from the motherboard, I was able to just clear the EPS cables.
  • It could just be me and my rookieness, however, I think it would be better to have greater quantity of access grommets.
  • Inability to make any connections to the PWM hub. So, because I have routed the EPS cables as described in step 1 above, it is difficult to connect any fans to the PWM hub. EPS cables are pressed against the PWM hub.
  • I’m still waiting a reply from Fractal Design on how to attach the dust filter on top of the radiator bracket with an AIO installed. I have screw heads protruding through the slots of the radiator bracket (those that hold radiator, fans, and bracket) and it looks like they are in the way of the dust filter laying down flat. Since I’m new, I don’t want to make any unnecessary forcing mistakes due to lack of knowledge. I contacted Fractal Design and we will see what they suggest.
I read about S2’s thermal performance (LINK - S2 Review) and it looks good. I also compared it to the NZXT H710i and the thermal performance with AIO radiator installed to the top did not make me happy. Maybe you can make suggestions?
Budget for new case: $200-300

Arav13

Reputable
Apr 17, 2016
I can't make any suggestions, unfortunately.
However, if I were to buy a case, I would give a chance to be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 (it's not a suggestion, just a matter of preferences :) )
Interesting selection. I will try my next build with that case.

alexoiu,
In terms of the PWM hub for case fans. Is it important that I use the PWM hub for all of my case fans? See, right now I have connected my three Fractal case fans to the chassis fan headers on mobo. I used up CHA_FAN1, CHA_FAN2, and CHA_FAN3 on mobo. Should I have connected them to the PWM hub instead?

TRENDING THREADS