Choosing Power Supply for new system

Rigamortis

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
I am building a new system for the 1st time in 3 years and Im a little out of touch with the power requirements of new systems. The system is for everyday use and gaming. I do not plan to overclock anything.

Intel core 2 duo 9650 CPU
Abit IP35 Pro MB
PNY GeForce 8800 GT 512MB DDR3
2 2G sticks of DDR2 6400
2 500 GB Seagate Sata hard drives

I dont plan to use 2 graphics cards, but id like to keep the option open.

The Power supply I have been looking at is the Corsair 620HX. Is that enough power? I cant imagine I would need more the 620 Watts, but i also cant imagine why anyone would need 1000 Watts.

Also, the abit IP35 pro seems like its a solid MB, but it doesnt have PCI express 2. Is there a solid reliable board that you would recommend that uses PCI express 2, but doesnt have heat issues.

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
For power supply I would recommend PC Power and cooling 750W, not that the Corsair is bad choice but you'll get some more head room with the other one. I am not too good with numbers when it comes to figure out the necessary wattage required for 2 GPU, the Corsair is probably enough but in any case the PC Power and Cooling sure is.

As for MB I don't have a specific model in mind but I like Asus or Gigabyte.

The soon to come out ATI 4870 is "rumored" to use 150w at load, the 4870X2 250w, good chance the new Nvidia cards will be in that same ballpark. No hard facts out yet, but if you were to use 2 in SLI or Xfire you'd be getting pretty high up in power draw at load. A quality 750w PSU isn't farfetched at all looking at future generations of GPUs. X38 or X48 mobo Giga or Asus.
http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=2&c=7&t=9354

The Corsair 750 watt psu will be more than enough for you. I have to 8800GTX ANS3 cards and these cards and the 8800GTX Ultras are the most power intensive SLI configurations you can get.

And they sometimes run these psus at a great price with the rebates:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006

Tried and proven. I would go with either of the two psus mentioned here by price if thats of an importance to you.