aeromaster03

Prominent
Mar 3, 2019
Apart from the Wattage, does it matter what PSU I buy?
(I know about how to work out what Wattage I need and I know about modular and non-modular PSUs)

trandaa

Reputable
Feb 21, 2019
Efficiency rating is important too and you can check the Tier list to see the overall quality rating (which include efficiency, stability, safety etc.) of the PSU

BringerOfTea

Reputable
Efficiency rating, how much load it can actually take.
Or you can just post budget and what kind of rig you plan to put it in... and we will gladly recommend. Spend some time reading up on tests on jonnyguru or similar established sites.

aeromaster03

Prominent
Mar 3, 2019
Efficiency rating, how much load it can actually take.
Or you can just post budget and what kind of rig you plan to put it in... and we will gladly recommend. Spend some time reading up on tests on jonnyguru or similar established sites.

Okay thank you.
I don’t have a budget as such, but the cheaper (whilst still being safe and doing its job) the better.
At the moment I have a Dell OptiPlex 790, that has a 265W PSU, as the base of my rig but eventually I’ll have upgraded everything (so that’s why I’ll need a new PSU)

aeromaster03

Prominent
Mar 3, 2019
Efficiency rating is important too and you can check the Tier list to see the overall quality rating (which include efficiency, stability, safety etc.) of the PSU
Thanks!

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
If "upgrade everything" means a total new pc are you usually fine with a good quality psu,depending on what parts are used would a 450<->650watt psu do mostly fine. Still as with Dell make sure you get one for the right form factor of the case,there are cases for instance that use a SFX psu which are smaller than a normal atx form factor psu.
If you want to upgrade what you have is form factor with Dell something to keep in mind and even the motherboard might have proprietary connections so look at that in this last case.