[SOLVED] Choosing the optimum configuration

Sep 30, 2019
Hi All,

I am choosing betwwen three ACER Nitro 5 gaming laptops

1) AMD Ryzen 5 3550H, 4GB,
AMD Radeon RX 560X, Cost around 564 USD

https://www.flipkart.com/acer-nitro...30po4w0000001569843745032&qH=ca3fd07b22bb3d5b

vs

2) Intel core i5 9th gen 9300H,
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050 3GB, Cost: Around 607 USD
https://www.flipkart.com/acer-nitro...30po4w0000001569843745032&qH=ca3fd07b22bb3d5b

3) Intel Core i5, 8th gen 8300H, NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1050 4GB, cost around 593 USD
https://www.amazon.in/Acer-AN515-52-15-6-inch-i5-8300H-Graphics/dp/B07W6H2YCV/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=acer+nitro+5&qid=1569844772&s=gateway&sr=8-3&th=1

Which one should I go for? Is Acer Nitro brand reliable? Because they are really much cheaper than comparable models from other brands like Dell.

Thanks a lot

Last edited:
Solution
The Ryzen is 35w 3.7GHz boost 4Mb cache, the Intel is 45w 4.1GHz boost 8Mb cache.

In terms of cpu performance, you'll get better possible fps from the Intel.

The gtx1050 is considerably more able than a rx560, so gpu will get better possible fps on the Intel.

The Intel will run somewhat hotter, so in intense gaming will more than likely throttle back boost to keep acceptable heat levels.

Some ppl report loosing 2Gb of usable ram on the Ryzen due to the Vega graphics, which makes no sense.

Either version, make sure to get the SDD equipped, or you'll end up with a 5400rpm HDD. Either that or purchase a seperate sata/NVMe.

Overall, the Intel has slightly higher performance, about 20fps worth. Whether that's justifiable to the heat...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The Ryzen is 35w 3.7GHz boost 4Mb cache, the Intel is 45w 4.1GHz boost 8Mb cache.

The gtx1050 is considerably more able than a rx560, so gpu will get better possible fps on the Intel.

The Intel will run somewhat hotter, so in intense gaming will more than likely throttle back boost to keep acceptable heat levels.

Some ppl report loosing 2Gb of usable ram on the Ryzen due to the Vega graphics, which makes no sense.

Either version, make sure to get the SDD equipped, or you'll end up with a 5400rpm HDD. Either that or purchase a seperate sata/NVMe.

Overall, the Intel has slightly higher performance, about 20fps worth. Whether that's justifiable to the heat output? Or battery life (amd wins there with lower wattage and less heat). Dunno, it's a close call. Gonna be your choice as to whether that little bit extra is worth the price difference.

Last edited:
Solution
Sep 30, 2019

Thanks a lot for your answer. So would you recommend Intel model even if it provides only 3GB of GFX? Also, how would a 8th Gen core 15 laptop fare against the ones above? Or should I not consider them at all? Like the one here https://www.amazon.in/Acer-AN515-52...+nitro+5&qid=1569844772&s=gateway&sr=8-3&th=1

It costs around 593 USD

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Can't compare Gb of the graphics. AMD and nvidia are considerably different in approach and usage. Typically a 3Gb Nvidia works equitably to 4Gb amd or 6Gb vs 8Gb.

8300h is slightly slower than the 9300h, so is roughly equitable to the Ryzen 3550h.

You are looking at 3x laptops that are all about the same thing, the advantages are minor, offset by other differences. So overall there's not any glaring bonuses to any of them. What's going to be the advantage is screen types, IPS vs TN, or storage (1Gb HDD vs 500Gb) etc. And even then, that's changeable by you at any time to SSD.

I'd look at the big picture, compare all you get from one vrs other, not just concentrating on cpu/gpu.

2 identical cars. One has 8cyl other is 6cyl. 8cyl has more torque and HP, 6cyl has better gas milage. Neither has issues getting to highway speeds. 8cyl is base model, roll up windows. 6cyl has power windows. 8cyl is green, 6cyl is red. Wife: 6cyl, color don't matter, HP don't matter, power windows matters. Daughter: 8cyl, color matters, rest not.

Personal choice depending on exactly where the priority is.

Last edited: