[SOLVED] Choosing the right 144 hz 24“ or 27“ monitor

Feb 2, 2020
Hello,
I love in germany and I‘m lf a „gaming monitor“. That‘s the main purpose but ofc I wanna watch movies and weeb series on it too.
Until now I only have experience with 60hz monitors but I want to experience 144hz gameplay.
Targetted resolution is 1080p but idk if 27“ is as bad as some ppl describe to be.
Will look at some in the market today.
Also, I prefer an IPS panel, I do play FPS like Apex Legends and MW atm but also single player games.
I‘m only ready to spend around 200€ as my budget is tight bc I recently purchased a new pc. So ye, only one monitor.
I had found 3 potential monitors and one dream monitor but there’s a huge problem with it and that is its availability in germany/eu atm...
The AOC 24G2U. 144 Hz, IPS, 24“, 1ms response time, ~5ms g2g, FreeSync, Usb and speakers is a plus but not needed at all. Would even just go ahead and purchase a non-U model but as I said before it‘s nowhere available rn in german retailer shops.
I also found an Asus monitor that‘s also not available and is 40 bucks more expensive and the Acer VG240YP which basically is the same as the AOC monitor but I‘ve had bad experience with Acer monitors. Both I owned in my gaming time died after 3-4 years from random issues. That‘s why I can‘t trust Acer regarding monitors anymore...:/
My GPU is a Sapphire Pulse 5700 XT on 20.1.3 driver. I can only connect that monitor with DP as a main monitor and will use my current VA monitor as a secondary monitor.
Is IPS a must? There‘s are many TN panel monitors that‘d meet my expectations but everyone says they‘re not great regarding viewing angles and color depth.
Hope you can help me out here.

Solution
My experience of 27” 1080p. I don’t like for text, especially working in Excel or Word. The lack of sharpness was annoying. However for moving images like games and movies I find it perfectly acceptable. If you are going to use the monitor for more than gaming then try to test other things such as reading a Word doc or something relevant to your usage.

In short I’d never buy another 27” 1080p but I can see why it might be fine in many use cases.
Feb 2, 2020
What about the whole pixel density issues with 1080p at 27“? Doesn‘t the image when reading or writing something look blurry when not gaming? I‘m kind of sensible to that, although I‘m sitting an arm length away from my current monitor. The sole reason 27“ was a nono until now was the pixel density. On 24“ it‘s ~91ppi while on 27“ it‘s 81ppi but then again, I‘ve never owned anything past 24“ and don’t have any friends to test it on. Will visit german electronic shop today to watch on 27“ 1080p monitors a bit to see if it‘s blurry or visually recognizable to me that it has lower pixel density.

Feb 2, 2020
I don‘t know if it‘s because of the unrealistic brightness inside the shop, the angle (the c27g1 was the only AOC there) was oddly high but after staring for 30 minutes between different monitors, 24 inch fullhd and 27 inch fullhd, I came to the conclusion that I‘ll just order the 27G2U for a week or two and depending on my own experience with it I‘ll keep it or just wait for the 24G2U.

where you able to play with the settings a bit?
The viewing angle being bad is to be expected from an ips panel in that price bracket

"I came to the conclusion that I‘ll just order the 27G2U for a week or two and depending on my own experience with it I‘ll keep it or just wait for the 24G2U. "

i think that is a good idea :)

Feb 2, 2020
The 24“ model was assumingly available 2 times on 2 different retailers. Both times I immediately ordered but still didn‘t get one. This monitor is sold out way too fast while having too low amounts available.
The 27“ is still 40€ more expensive which is too much for me to pay.

My experience of 27” 1080p. I don’t like for text, especially working in Excel or Word. The lack of sharpness was annoying. However for moving images like games and movies I find it perfectly acceptable. If you are going to use the monitor for more than gaming then try to test other things such as reading a Word doc or something relevant to your usage.

In short I’d never buy another 27” 1080p but I can see why it might be fine in many use cases.

Reactions: ashurakotaro
Solution
Feb 2, 2020
Does it only apply when using word/excel or reading texts in general? I read and write quite a bit online, so my usecase for the monitor is mainly gaming but also watching movies, series, reading stuff and articles, so an allround monitor. My retailer just e-mail‘ed me saying the monitor will be available next week and since I‘ve payed already, I basically preordered one, guaranteed getting one FINALLY week or monday/tuesday the day after. AOC should produce more 24G2‘s, so highly requested rn, it‘s not even funny