Choosing the right laptop

smashzor

Reputable
May 24, 2015
I am going to college next year and I wanna start coding. I am quite the hardware junkie but I also want to get into the software world. I am going to be taking my desktop with me (i7 4790k OC, strix 970 4gb oc, 250 evo ssd) but I also want something portable. So what would be the best laptop in terms of performance and battery life?

smashzor

Reputable
May 24, 2015

What do you think about the Macbook Pro Retina 13 inch 2015 model? with 16GB and the i7 processor
I can afford that
I am thinking about the 13 inch because I won't be doing a ton of coding on it, ill be using my PC at home mostly. But is the 13 mobile enough to bring to class?

kelix09

Reputable
Jul 18, 2014
Intel have made huge strides forward with the Iris Pro integrated graphics... that said if you're going to be doing a LOT of video editing ... heck even just casual editing, you'll benefit massively from the 750M in the high-end 15" MBP.

It's still a shame there's no GPU option in the low-end one, even if it was just a 650M or something.

The only issue I can think for this is that most applications that you make will be for windows which then defeats the purpose of buying the mac. I would suggest a windows laptop with an i5 4300m or higher is sufficient enough. I would look into lenovos as they are very good with their laptops for students. Or you could look into barebone laptops if you prefer.