Choosing the right Power Supply !

mhtsgr999

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013
Hey Guys
My old PSU (Corsair VS 450) isn't good enough to provide power to my system so I need a new one but I'm Confused in these Power supplies.
1)ANTEC VP 500
2)Cooler Master MWE 550W
3)Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 w or 600-Watt Non-Modular
4)GIGABYTE PB 500
5)THERMALTAKE Smart 500/600 W or TR2 S 600
6)Cooler Master GXII 650W

Basically these are the ones that are in my budget and Please do not suggest seasonic PSUs or corsair's HX,TX or any high tier PSUS because they cost more than $150 in my country.
It will be really nice if you guys can tell me which one is Decent enough to handle my PC.

Specs:
CPU: I5 2500K OC to 4ghz
GPU: Asus Rx 480 4GB

Other than that there's 2 fans,1 HDD and one SSD.

Thanks

mhtsgr999

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013

I have single rx480 which reach maximum of 120W and CPu is reaching somewhere around 80W .
Is there any one of these PSUs in higher tier than others?
Also most of the 600W have more than 40amp on 12v rail but I have no idea which one of these are decent enough.

4745454b

Titan
Looking those PSUs up, the VS 450 has 34A on the 12V rail. The Antec VP 500 has the same 34A. It doesn't really have any more power available to you. I'm not really familiar with the Coolermaster or Gigabyte PB PSU. The Thermaltake TR2 S 600W has 42A, so it at least has more power. I can't find a review on that PSU so I'm not sure how good it is internally. It only has a 3yr warranty from what I've seen online. (Warranty depends on what country you live so yours might be longer or probably shorter.) You didn't list prices but from what I know or looked up the TR2 S 600 is the only PSU up there I know that has more power and might be half way ok.

120w is more like average power consumption, a card's instantaneous power draw can have a much larger range, and hence you would want to have the loading @ 50-60%, this also gives you the best efficiency plus the extra headroom.

out of those, there isn't anything that stands out to be honest. i would go for the 550w or 600w from cm or tt and pick whichever has the better price.

mhtsgr999

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013

All these PSUs cost between than $55-$65 in my country, Do you think going for the Higher wattage will help just because of having more amps on 12v rail?
Also Right now I am loosing signal to the monitor while The PC is ON whenever I try to play games that are more graphical dependant and it turned out to be a PSU issue.

The PSU is the heart of your system. Without it NOTHING works! The PSU is the only component that, if it fails, can destroy ALL of your other components. If you can't afford a decent PSU, how will you afford to replace your other components? Never "cheap out" on the PSU, it is false economy!

mhtsgr999

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013

I would love to have a decent PSU but all those GOOD ONES cost as much as a new Ryzen 5

4745454b

Titan
Do you think going for the Higher wattage will help just because of having more amps on 12v rail?

The CPU and the GPU pull their power from the 12V rail. You said seeing a 120W draw from your GPU. I know the 480 can draw a lot more than that. The 480 is at least a 250W card. Some can draw more. If your PSU is having issues that might be why your GPU only draws 120W. I mention this because some people see 500W and think it has more than their 450W. But they have the same amount of power on the 12V rail. You need the 600W not for the 600W on the label but the 42A on the 12V rail instead of the 34A with the 450/500W.

There is a reason the good ones cost more. They are better quality and have more protections and are less likely to take something else out if they fail.

It is your money and your system, but you usually get what you pay for.

mhtsgr999

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013

Does that mean I should go with the one with HIGHEST amps on 12V rail ?
And I don't know if a rx 480 4 GB version can take 250W or not. I checked from GPU-z And it wasn't that high.

i see people are making a big deal about it.

same thing can be said about motherboard too, and other things.
and overclocking.

i can make the same argument that you should not buy cheap motherboard that one single short circuit on your motherboard high side mosfet will instantly fry your cpu and all of us should have those 50a-70a smart power stage on the $250+motherboard.

people do have a budget, and they accept the risk that they are taking.

psu is not as fragile as many may think, sure if you oc and reach the psu max output or have even running it beyond its spec it's going to fail rather quickly.
chance of having a decent 600w power supply to run a 50% load (during game, and less for web browsing) on a daily system should be perfectly fine for a few years without issue.

All these psu are from reputable psu brand that in the business for 10 plus year, high failure rate will definitely hurt the company reputation in the industry. and they will not last.

having 42a on 12v, means that the psu can supply that much current without issue, where your card need or not need it, it's a different story.

think the rating as the max capacity of bus, you can have up to 50 people at once, but you can still run it with just the driver, or 10/20/30/40 passengers.

4745454b

Titan
aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9CLzAvNTkxMzcyL29yaWdpbmFsLzI4LVRvcnR1cmUtQmFycy5wbmc=

In our torture test it drew a peak of ~225W. So it's less than I thought. Avg was around 170W. (I thought for sure these numbers were for the 580. My bad.) I know you are going to say this is for the 8GB card and not the 4GB like you have, but the cards are the same minus the 4GB difference. And 4GBGs of ram isn't going to drop the power draw by 80W.

Before you buy the new PSU I'd make sure you don't have a GPU issue. Make sure you don't have a thermal issue. I'm running my R9 280 on a 450W PSU, but mine has 37A on it's 12V rail.

Edit: Link to review.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-480-polaris-10,4616-9.html

mhtsgr999

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013

There's no issue in the GPU and the temps are lower than it should be.
I found out that the GPU isn't using more than 1000mhz core clock in most cases so I tired Heaven benchmark and set the Power limit to max and then when it starts to consume more power the display just goes Off.
Plus my current PSU is 5-6 year old and after reading a lot of posts It was clear that it's PSU's issue as everyone was pointing out the PSU in almost every case.