[SOLVED] Choosing the right SSD

May 23, 2020
I have been looking around but i'm hesitating between the Samsung 860 Pro 512gb and Crucial MX500 500gb for the new pc build.

There is a significant price difference between the two and i get the Pro is considered better/faster but. Am i really gonna be able to notice the difference between the two with a brand new pc? The only game i plan on putting on the SSD at the moment is world of warcraft and maybe a few more games with identical loading times in the future but the rest of the capacity is gonna be for my OS and startup programs to boot faster and stuff like that. I have been playing on a potato pc since 2014 so i assume i will be shocked by the difference either way.

The price difference is huge between the two which i don't really understand, the 500gb Samsung Pro is €150 and the MX500 is €65 over here in the same store. I could go for the 256gb Pro but even then it's more expensive for even less storage.

Would appriciate the help a lot.

Solution
That difference is just inflated prices where you live.
The real difference should be 10-15 euros.

Both are good ssds from known manufacturers with a DRAM cache.

I have used both in the past and i can tell you right now, its not a big difference.
For loading times, 1-5 seconds difference is not noticeable unless its side by side, and the 2 will be in that margin of error.

Samsung is usually a bit more expensive since they are 1. actually a bit better. 2. from a more known and more "premium" manufacturer and 3. if samsung's ssds are known for 1 thing, its reliability. just ask pudget systems.
Their samsung ssds are more reliable than any other pc part in their systems, by a noticeable margin.

Im not saying that the mx500 will just...

I have used both in the past and i can tell you right now, its not a big difference.
For loading times, 1-5 seconds difference is not noticeable unless its side by side, and the 2 will be in that margin of error.

Samsung is usually a bit more expensive since they are 1. actually a bit better. 2. from a more known and more "premium" manufacturer and 3. if samsung's ssds are known for 1 thing, its reliability. just ask pudget systems.
Their samsung ssds are more reliable than any other pc part in their systems, by a noticeable margin.

Im not saying that the mx500 will just die, its just that samsung ssds have less chance of failure.

I suggest the mx500, since its almost the same in day2day use, and almost a 3rd the price where you live.

Solution
The samsung PRO is higher priced because of longer endurance. Endurance, today is no longer an issue in a normal desktop endurance.
A ssd will be long obsolete before it wears out.
And, the larger the ssd, the longer the endurance.
In actual usage, you will notice little difference in performance from any quality ssd.
What is your motherboard? Can it handle a m.2 ssd?

With a 2.5" ssd, there will be little difference in performance among them.
You can check out differences in the anandtech ssd bench app:
https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2205?vs=2198
Do not read too much into minor differences.

The crucial MX500 and samsung 860 evo are priced similarly.
The samsung may test a touch better, but not ehough to base a decision on.
What might matter is the warranty. MX500 is 3 years, samsung is 5 years.

SSD prices are down, today, I would consider buying 1tb up front.

If you can support a m.2 pcie ssd, I would go that way.
For that, look at the intel 660/665P m.2 devices.
pcie sequential speeds are much higher.
Again, while sequential speeds are good, it is the random latency that really matters since small random I/O is what windows does most.

Reactions: Hardoboiled
May 23, 2020

Im not saying that the mx500 will just die, its just that samsung ssds have less chance of failure.

I suggest the mx500, since its almost the same in day2day use, and almost a 3rd the price where you live.
Thank you for the simple explanation.

May 23, 2020
The samsung PRO is higher priced because of longer endurance. Endurance, today is no longer an issue in a normal desktop endurance.
A ssd will be long obsolete before it wears out.
And, the larger the ssd, the longer the endurance.
In actual usage, you will notice little difference in performance from any quality ssd.
What is your motherboard? Can it handle a m.2 ssd?

With a 2.5" ssd, there will be little difference in performance among them.
You can check out differences in the anandtech ssd bench app:
https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2205?vs=2198
Do not read too much into minor differences.

The crucial MX500 and samsung 860 evo are priced similarly.
The samsung may test a touch better, but not ehough to base a decision on.
What might matter is the warranty. MX500 is 3 years, samsung is 5 years.

SSD prices are down, today, I would consider buying 1tb up front.

If you can support a m.2 pcie ssd, I would go that way.
For that, look at the intel 660/665P m.2 devices.
pcie sequential speeds are much higher.
Again, while sequential speeds are good, it is the random latency that really matters since small random I/O is what windows does most.
My motherboard will be a MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 i'm pretty sure it won't be a problem. 1 TB is definitely a consideration i have to make given the prices.

May 23, 2020
860 EVO
MX500
970 EVO

If the 970 is that close in price, for the same size...that is the choice to make.
Yeah i'm very suprised it's the same price right now. A few months ago when i started building my pc it was a different story. After checking right now the choice is pretty obvious. Thank you for the help man.

My motherboard will be a MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 i'm pretty sure it won't be a problem. 1 TB is definitely a consideration i have to make given the prices.
The 970 evo is a m.2 pcie ssd that will work in your motherboard.
At a similar price, that is the one to buy.
A m.2 ssd is tiny, much like a stick of gum.
It fits into a motherboard slot and needs no other power or data connections.
While the 970 EVO is tops in performance and quality, on a budget, consider the intel 660P or 665P m.2 ssd.
They are a touch slower, but equally fast in reading which is what you will be doing mostly.

Reactions: Hardoboiled
May 23, 2020
The 970 evo is a m.2 pcie ssd that will work in your motherboard.
At a similar price, that is the one to buy.
A m.2 ssd is tiny, much like a stick of gum.
It fits into a motherboard slot and needs no other power or data connections.
While the 970 EVO is tops in performance and quality, on a budget, consider the intel 660P or 665P m.2 ssd.
They are a touch slower, but equally fast in reading which is what you will be doing mostly.
Thanks for the suggestion. But i think i'll be going with the samsung because i want to get everything from the same store those are not really available there. Don't really mind the price difference because the intel 660P comes at the same price in a different store over here :ROFLMAO:.