[SOLVED] Choppiness on 60 fps

May 30, 2020
Hey guys so I know this is gonna be specific so bear with me. I have a 144hz monitor but I change that to 60 because I can only get 60 on a specific game called dcs world. When I do that I also lock my fps via riva tuner to get a smooth experience. But that’s not the case. When I lock it at 60 it Cana be smooth at times but when I look around and stuff it’s choppy laggy and it feels overall really bad even though my fps dosent go lower than 60 at all and my frametimes are good my memeory is fine there is no 100% disk usage and my temps are very good. It doesn’t happen with Vsync adaptive syny or if I unlock my fps. My question is why would that be happening if I have my fps on my refresh rate. I have a second monitor that’s natively 60hz and it does it on that too. Any help would be appreciated

Solution
Im guessing your monitor doesn't have Freesync or Gsync? What Nvidia card do you have? Assuming Nvidia since you're using Riva.

Vsync syncs frames to the monitor and would be the reason it can look smoother. Fps over refresh can sometimes look smooth but often gives off a jitter look as frames are missed on screen.

Gsync/Freesync would be handy if your screen supports it.

If you don't like Vsync input lag try cap your fps in Rivatuner to 59 with Vsync on.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Im guessing your monitor doesn't have Freesync or Gsync? What Nvidia card do you have? Assuming Nvidia since you're using Riva.

Vsync syncs frames to the monitor and would be the reason it can look smoother. Fps over refresh can sometimes look smooth but often gives off a jitter look as frames are missed on screen.

Gsync/Freesync would be handy if your screen supports it.

If you don't like Vsync input lag try cap your fps in Rivatuner to 59 with Vsync on.

Solution