Question Chopping heatpipes on cooler?

BKsniperguy

Reputable
May 20, 2019
Basically what the title says. I have a q9550 with pretty bad temps (51c at idle, 340x8.5 0.9975v) and I'm wondering if it could be because I chopped off the tips of the copper heatpipes on my snowman t4 cooler (so that my side panel would fit on).

Could chopping the top off the heat pipes on my air cooler be affecting performance?

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
The heatpipes on your cooler are usually filled with liquid to help with heat transmission. If you chop the pipes off, you're going to loose the liquid and effectively the reasoning behind having heat pipes.

If you can't close your side panel(it won't fir) then it's due to the fact that the cooler is too tall for your case. You should've paid attention to the case's CPU cooler height restrictions. If anything invest in a better built, lower profile cooler or an AIO.

What is the make and model of your chassis? On second thoughts, list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Reactions: LarryDee

BKsniperguy

Reputable
May 20, 2019
The heatpipes on your cooler are usually filled with liquid to help with heat transmission. If you chop the pipes off, you're going to loose the liquid and effectively the reasoning behind having heat pipes.

If you can't close your side panel(it won't fir) then it's due to the fact that the cooler is too tall for your case. You should've paid attention to the case's CPU cooler height restrictions. If anything invest in a better built, lower profile cooler or an AIO.

What is the make and model of your chassis? On second thoughts, list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
I got some cheap****

[Moderation edit to remove profanity. BK remember that this is a Family Friendly Forum.]

case so I couldn't really check the height restrictions as there is literally nothing about it online. As for the other specs I have: Ga-965p-ds3p 2.0, 2 1gb sticks 667mhz ddr2, 2 1gb sticks 800mhz ddr2, Snowman cooler t4 non rgb, q9550, deepcool z5 (heaps piled in the middle) on a side note I didn't see any liquid in the heatpipes but I'm going to assume it doesn't really matter.
Edit: the case is made by excel although I'm not sure of the model.

Last edited by a moderator: