Choppy gameplay under 60 FPS (all games)

Nortabun

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
Every single game on my build has been persistently choppy under 60 FPS, it's not quite what you'd call lag, but the camera just feels oddly choppy and it gets progressively worse under 50 FPS to the point where gaming at <50 FPS gives me motion sickness. This isn't your average problem, and it's truly mind boggling how i seem to be the only one having it this bad, despite my ceaseless efforts to correct this, nothing worked..

Yes i have tried setting Vsync to off, on, and adaptive from CP (and every vsync setting for the matter). Yes i have disabled all forms of Vsync from every game and tested with and without. Yes i have tried limiting my FPS through NV inspector. Yes i have wiped clean, and re-installed my whole drivers more than twice. Yes i have switched monitors and HDMI cables. And Yes, I am not delusional, nor am i new to PC gaming, i know how 30 - 59 FPS SHOULD feel, and they don't feel right on this build.

BONUS: I have also overclocked my monitor to 80Hz, and funny enough 60 FPS is still as smooth as it should be, but not anything lower..

Nortabun

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013

sorry for the late reply, but here are my specs

GTX 970 (stock G1) / FX 8350 (no oc) / CM 750w bronze PSU / 8GB 1600mhz RAM

mobo is m5a99x pro

Current monitor is Samsung S24D300 , although i doubt its the issue since i tried hooking up my PC to another monitor and TV.

I see, I asked about the monitor because one with a high response time could cause that choppy feeling, however I see yours have a 2ms response time so it certainly not the problem...

Seems you've pretty much covered all the possibilities, I assume you've tested on different games, different game styles: RTS, Racing, First Person Shooters and the problem persists right? specially FPS and Racing are where I guess the impact is more noticeable.

I can only think of two things:

1) some issue with your video card config, perhaps Triple Buffer is disabled, that extra preloaded frame really helps to keep frames smoothly.

2) Unstable fps, limiting your FPS should have resulted in an improvement in such scenario, but maybe there's instability in your CPU/GPU performance, run a game and monitor your CPU/GPU with procexp, after 10 or so minutes of gaming see how stable your CPU/GPU usage was, specially the GPU should stay at all times at 99-100% usage.

Nortabun

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013

Thanks for the help man, i did try disabling and enabled triple buffering, still did not see any improvement, however there is a SLIGHT improvement when i switch some games like GTA V from DX11 mode to DX10, :??: ?

However,
I recently tried hooking up my PC to my HDTV (of unknown refresh rate probably 60 or 50) and i noticed that regardless of vsync setting, the FPS started getting incredibly choppier under 50 rather than the 60 on both my monitors, an improvement, yet still quite intolerable jittering for <50 FPS. It's starting to dawn on me that my problem somehow fits in this bandwagon of ''unconventional'' problems https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/831430/geforce-900-series/pixelated-shadows-texture-popins-gtx-960-970-980-ect-/1/ that Nvidia has resorted to calling ''power lining related issues'' And, well since my whole building isn't grounded, i can't argue much, even if it seems pretty far fetched.

What's also funny is that i've been setting up my pals laptop the other day (one he recently bought), got him a couple of games for testing, and guess what, seems like he has this exact problem, just 2x worse.

[strike]thanks obama[/strike]