[SOLVED] Choppy gameplay when gpu usage low

shubh123

Prominent
Dec 12, 2020
Hello I’ve been having a problem for months now where my game is choppy when my gpu usage is low but when my gpu usage is around 90 it’s better but not completely smooth I’ve been having a problem recently where my pc turns on with max fan speed but no monitor signal at all and I can’t restart the pc so I have to power it off completely. On some days it’s smooth for like 5 mins but it goes back to normal choppy. Could it be my wall outlet?

Rx 580 8gb
Ryzen 5 2600
16 gb Oloy 3200mzh
Asus b450m-csm
Thermaltake 700w smart series psu
75hz 1MS vrb asus gaming monitor

Solution
When your gpu's usage is low, meaning when you aren't loading your gpu with larger loads, things get choppy. If I'm getting that right.

(Be sure to back up your files before doing anything!)

First thing you should check is task manager. Sort by CPU usage and then GPU usage. If you see anything overly high, keep note of it. Before you end the task, try to identify what it is. Look it up and see what it does. Once its identified, try hitting end task and then check your performance.

Your gpu might not be getting as much power as before, or possibly the vram speed is defaulting lower than intended. Or something isnt running as it should. I'd doubt it but you can never confirm until you know. I would
-Check your parts to be...

Quinnfuzzball

Prominent
Jun 3, 2021
Well, Is there anything you have done to your pc that might have changed things? Maybe updated drivers or a changed component? Any usb things that are new you have plugged in? Knowing any possible cause can help.

That and youre going to want to check what your computers temps are(like 474545b mentioned) at during load. Could be your parts might need a cleaning.

Core Temp and MSI Afterburner are good recommendation for viewing temps and other details about your hardware.

Last edited:

shubh123

Prominent
Dec 12, 2020
Nothi
Well, Is there anything you have done to your pc that might have changed things? Maybe updated drivers or a changed component? Any usb things that are new you have plugged in? Knowing any possible cause can help.

That and youre going to want to check what your computers temps are(like 474545b mentioned) at during load. Could be your parts might need a cleaning.

Core Temp and MSI Afterburner are good recommendation for viewing temps and other details about your hardware.

Nothing is heavy loaded I clean my pc often I have everything updated this has been happening for months could it be my wall outlet?

Quinnfuzzball

Prominent
Jun 3, 2021
When your gpu's usage is low, meaning when you aren't loading your gpu with larger loads, things get choppy. If I'm getting that right.

First thing you should check is task manager. Sort by CPU usage and then GPU usage. If you see anything overly high, keep note of it. Before you end the task, try to identify what it is. Look it up and see what it does. Once its identified, try hitting end task and then check your performance.

Your gpu might not be getting as much power as before, or possibly the vram speed is defaulting lower than intended. Or something isnt running as it should. I'd doubt it but you can never confirm until you know. I would
-Check your parts to be sure they are running the right speeds.
-Check bios for ram speeds set to their normal and same with your cpu.
-Reset bios to defaults and check to be sure your XMP is set.
-If you clean your pc often, be sure you check all your cables are properly in place and pushed in.

For your GPU, if you have MSI Afterburner or similar program, try increasing your gpu's power limit.

If you think the outlet is the problem, try another.

Also don't forget to run a virus/malware scan. I use Avast and Malwarebytes personally. If you haven't done so I would recommend.

And if you're sure it isn't a hardware you plugged in, it's always check any usb extenders, splitters, or anything that can draw a lot of power. ( purchased a USB hub the other day and it does similar things to my pc and ends up crashing it. Can never be too careful.)

Check these off your list and be sure to revert any changes you might make that don't seem to fix the issue.

Last edited:
Solution

shubh123

Prominent
Dec 12, 2020

-If you clean your pc often, be sure you check all your cables are properly in place and pushed in.

For your GPU, if you have MSI Afterburner or similar program, try increasing your gpu's power limit.

Also don't forget to run a virus/malware scan. I use Avast and Malwarebytes personally. If you haven't done so I would recommend.

And if you're sure it isn't a hardware you plugged in, it's always check any usb extenders, splitters, or anything that can draw a lot of power. ( purchased a USB hub the other day and it does similar things to my pc and ends up crashing it. Can never be too careful.)

Check these off your list and be sure to revert any changes you might make that don't seem to fix the issue.
I did checked everything and did everything you said expect the wall plug and the problems still happens

shubh123

Prominent
Dec 12, 2020

Just tried with another outlet still happening