choppy performance while playing DVD on ATI VIVO

mazyar

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2001
I finaly got my card a few days ago, and add it to my PII 400 system. I have 256MB of RAM, SOund blaster live value card, Creative Ovation DVD-ROM, Win2K and 500MB of free space on my OS drive.

I couldn't wait to try my Gladiator DVD. I installed the shipped drivers, then upgraded to all the newest drivers for ATI. I ran DVD4.1 for the ATI and was dismayed to see choppy performance of the movie.

THere were 40 sec stretches where everything ran very smoothly, but then things got choppy to very choppy for 5-10 sec intervals randomly. I have talked to a few people who had slower PC's than me, but had smooth performance and told me that I should be fine. I am missing something here (other than a fast CPU :)

My harddrive light flashes on and off continuesly throughout the movie. As I said, on the drive where my WIN2K resides on, I have about 500 Megs of free space.

Are there any tweeks I can do or any settings to check to see what might be the problem?

Thank you for you advice.

FatBurger

Illustrious
BTW, please don't post in sevearl different places on here. It makes it harder on everyone to keep track of what's going on.

------------------------------
My Athlon can beat your Ferrari off the line.

G

if you've tried all the usual (defrag, restart before starting the DVD player, check the DMA on the DVD drive, stop all background programs you don't need, service packs for 2k, Bios and OS tweaks) then i would suggest trying a different DVD playing software, i use powerDVD3 with my rageVIVO and it's perfect. i had a similar problem with cinemaster and i never found the cause so i changed to PDVD and not looked back.

Oli

G

I posted this on your other thread, try using PowerDVD to play them. If you can't use PowerDVD just try enabling dma mode. Hope that helps!

<Common Sense is a gift that some of us have returned.>

mazyar

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2001
Thanks for you responses and suggestions. I did try the DMA enabling, and it worked like a charm. It's great. Thanks.