Choppy performance with GTS 32 MB

G

Take a look at my system below.
Please answer me the following question:
Why is that with just about EVERY new game demo I get these days, I get choppiness?
Every one of them seems jerky - Crimson Skies, Evolva, SWAT3, Urban Chaos, FIFA 2001, NHL 2001, Pro Rally 2001 and many others.
I got an explanation that demos are supposed to demonstrate the software, not the power of the videocard. So why is it then that you guys all seem to sing the praises of how well they run? Smooth as butter everyone seems to say, well those who HAVE decent rigs that is. Like me. Only they are choppy on mine.
Is it because my monitor is poor? Or are you all being slightly inaccurate as to the ACTUAL performance on your PC's?
I get accurate benchmarks - 115 in Quake 3 @ 1024x768@16, and 7157 in 3D Mark 2000 same settings. But ingame, in demos, so many of them, its really choppy at times.
So can anyone point me to the truth, which I sure do hope IS out there.

------------------
Rig:

Win 98 SE
Creative Geforce 2 GTS 32 MB - Det 6.47 (tried various)
Directx8 (No difference from 7a)
P3 800e @ 992 With Alpha P3125S
192 PC 100 RAM @ 124 stable
Abit BE6
Sounblaster Live! value
56K Modem
IBM Deskstar IDE 13.3 GB
32X CDROM
Plug + Play 17" monitor

G

I assume you are referring to the AGP aperture.
Yeah, my BIOS allows that, anything up to 256 - I have it at 128 right now.

G

Jeff:

I have experimented with both ways - and theres no major improvement with it off. In areas of little demand on the system, the fps DOES go up. But where the fps dipped before, with v-sync on, with v-sync off theres no improvement.
Also, I get little performance change between the different resolutions - 400 up till 1024, no real change in performance.
Any ideas anyone.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
With scores like that it is hard to imagine that it is choppy. Have you by any chance tried a different monitor? seeing how you are starting to run out of options and it does appear that your scores would indicate you are running exeptionally well what else could it possibly be? Have you played with the refresh rates? Agp card isn't sharing an irq?

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

G

Yep, I am trying a differnt monitor in the next couple of days.
3D Mark was smooth except for a couple of jerky moments. But it IS T+L optimised...
No IRQ sharing.
Played about with refresh rates - only go up 85 at 1024 - and even then, after a while, the display starts to judder a little - just on the desktop I mean. The monitor COULD be the problem.
We shall see.

G

NEVER use v6.47 driver !!
i got choppy no matter the v-sync is on or off.
i'm using v7.17

my system:
WinME
Dx8
creative geforce ddr 32mb - det.3(?)7.17
P3 700e oc 933 w/alpha pal-6035
256mb pc133
Asus CUSL2
3com 3c905b-tx NIC

Never chop.

<font color=orange>What do you think? :wink: </font color=orange>

G

my 2 cents:

if i read your original post correctly, you have 192mb RAM, and you set your BIOS AGP to use 128mb ?!?!

If the above is true, no wonder it is choppy, you only leave 64mb RAM to the Operating System & Games to share.

First, get more RAM. It is SOOOOO cheap today.

(if I assumed incorrectly, then just ignore my ramblings)