[SOLVED] Choppy playback of recordings on 75hz

Apr 5, 2019
I had a 60hz monitor on which i used to record gameplays through ShadowPlay. Now that i've upgraded to a 75hz panel, whenever i record videos, the playback seems to become choppy for unknown reasons. I know that shadowplay doesn't record 75hz but actually records 60hz. If i switch my framerate from 75hz to 60hz and try playing those videos, the videos that i recorded on 75hz seem choppy, but the ones i had already recorded on 60hz look smooth. The issue came up when i started to record on 75hz. Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Any time you play video at a different framerate than the display you get telecine judder, unless the display has a refresh rate that's an integer multiple of that framerate.

As your software can only record at 60Hz, videos will only play back smoothly at 60Hz or 120Hz. There is playback software that can interpolate in-between frames to smooth this out but then you get soap opera effect.

I expect the videos you recorded at 75Hz with only 60fps data has the judder recorded right into the videos.
Any time you play video at a different framerate than the display you get telecine judder, unless the display has a refresh rate that's an integer multiple of that framerate.

As your software can only record at 60Hz, videos will only play back smoothly at 60Hz or 120Hz. There is playback software that can interpolate in-between frames to smooth this out but then you get soap opera effect.

I expect the videos you recorded at 75Hz with only 60fps data has the judder recorded right into the videos.

Solution
Apr 5, 2019

So would that mean i need to record at 60hz to get smooth 60hz? Isn't there any other solution? I really want to play at 75hz cause it looks a lot smoother but also to make the recording at 60hz without stuttering. Any other software, perhaps?