[SOLVED] Dragging windows around the screen is very choppy ?

John Chrin

Reputable
Jul 29, 2014
Problem: window movement become very choppy when dragged around my screens. Fresh install, newly built PC. I tried it without the graphics drivers from nvidia as well and there was no improvement. Playing games and watching videos works just fine, but whenever I try and drag windows around it is really choppy until i stop dragging it.

CPU: Skylake 6700k
Graphics: Geforce 980 TI Hydro Copper
Ram: 32gb Gskillz Trident Z 2133mhz
Monitors: Asus PG279Q ROG Swifts (1440p/120hz)

Solution
Of course ended up having a ton of problems. This is not a problem that is limited to only one screen either; its on both. Playing a video or a windowed game on either screen causes the video to lag up. It wasn't until I switched back to 60Hz on both screens did the problems disappear.

The fix for me was to go into the Nvidia Control Panel -> Adjust Desktop Size and Position -> and setting "Perform scaling on" to GPU instead of display.

Now I've got the computer running in a 120/60Hz setup. I can play a game in one screen and watching a show in the other with no problems.

https://hardforum.com/threads/dual-monitors-60hz-120hz-woes.1636481/

does that help?

Colif

Win 11 Master
check motherboard makers site and see if you have newest drivers for motherboard, I don't think its the graphics, more likely a chipset driver or maybe sata.

Go to the Windows Updates section of all settings and click advance to view your update history. Check to see what drivers if any were installed. Win 10 may have loaded an old one for some of your hardware, it is just trying to be helpful but its got an old store of drivers to choose from.

John Chrin

Reputable
Jul 29, 2014
The issue is related to me running two different refresh rates at the same time. I have a 60hz tv that i extend to and if i set everything to 60hz, the issue goes away. I need a 120hz tv if I want the problem to go away.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Of course ended up having a ton of problems. This is not a problem that is limited to only one screen either; its on both. Playing a video or a windowed game on either screen causes the video to lag up. It wasn't until I switched back to 60Hz on both screens did the problems disappear.

The fix for me was to go into the Nvidia Control Panel -> Adjust Desktop Size and Position -> and setting "Perform scaling on" to GPU instead of display.

Now I've got the computer running in a 120/60Hz setup. I can play a game in one screen and watching a show in the other with no problems.

https://hardforum.com/threads/dual-monitors-60hz-120hz-woes.1636481/

does that help?

Solution