Choppyness with high frame rate and good specs.

May 1, 2018
The issue has choppyness that feels as if my frame rate is substantially lower such as 15fps for example then changing higher when it may be reading 200fps. I also have a lot of visual stutters that increase the longer I play a certain game. PC Specs:
CPU: i7 8700k
GPU: PNY GTX 1080
RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengence
MBU: ASUS z370-F
SSD: Samsung 960 evo m.2
PSU: 1000watt EVGA.
Display: Dell S2417dg

Components replaced: GPU, CPU, RAM, PSU, and MBU. The problem still persists.

The issue can be defined as a very choppy and inconsistent feel when playing any game. It feels like microstutters throughout the whole experience.

I have tried almost everything software related.

A few things have impacted the issue in positive and negative ways. One of the most notable being that increasing input lag makes the issue less apparent. Such as turning off fast monitor response time and vysnc improve the issue. However, Gsync with capped fps does not fix the issue. Another very noticeable factor is games feel smooth for a round a minute then I get an initial very large stutter and the issue happens more. The games becomes more choppy the longer I play the game. The most interesting part is, that in games when I have locked fps and look away from the map it isn’t choppy, but when I turn towards the map it is choppy again. Yet the fps is consistent, this issue occurred with two different graphics cards as well. But I can 100% confirm that additional input lag helps reduce the choppyness. Keep in mind I’m playing 165hz with 200fps, the game should be very far from choppy. I have had this issue for 5 months and any help would be appreciated. My CPU temps max at 80c, gpu around 70.

Could my issue have some sort of relation to my SSD, it’s speeds appear to be normal. However, I have had many BSOD’s and recently had an issue where my pc would boot without my display drivers, not sure if those were the only drivers missing. But, even after installing them my stuttering was substantially worse so it seems very likely to be related to my ssd. If anyone believes it to be something different or has a fix please let me know. Keep in mind the issue is more apparent with more intensive applications, yet the cpu and gpu have both been replaced. Please, if anyone has a solution I’m dying to hear it, this issue randomly started about 5 months ago and has been driving me crazy.

kenjitamura

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012

To be clear you've tried completely wiping your SSD and installing everything from scratch then? It's many times the only effective way to resolve software related issues. Since you have a Samsung SSD you can download Samsung Magician for the job.

Burn it to a flash drive, burn a Windows iso to a flash drive, boot from the samsung magician flash drive, wipe the SSD, boot from the windows ISO flash drive and reinstall.

Until you've done that you can't really say you've done every software related solution. This is to be done after you've exhausted other solutions/run out of patience.

basically, with new hardware(mb and cpu) a new and fresh OS has to be installed if you haven't done that already. Either you would have done it from a cd or a usb thumb drive with win10 downloaded on it. Carrying over a drive for old system dosent usually work well. The usb drive must be a min of 8gb to load the windows 10 installer

MERGED QUESTION
Question from spot- : "Paying for an Answer: Choppyness with good specs and fps."

did you start a duplicate thread?

MERGED QUESTION
Question from spot- : "Choppyness with good specs and high fps."

this is most likely the answer to fixing the OPs problem.

Some other things to try:

As RARRAF indicated, GSync requires displayport.. I didn't see that answered, just want to make sure.

Do a clean reinstall of your video drivers WITHOUT GeForce experience if you have that module installed.

Turn off all video recording apps, including Windows 10 built in app.

How are you limiting frames? NVidia Profile Inspector is very helpful for that if not what you've tried.

Do your video settings match (fullscreen vs windowed/borderless windowed) and GSync settings for that match?

May 1, 2018
I have tried all of the following, I am using a display port. But as for the rest of those options I have done all of them already. I feel as if it is a hardware issue.

shknawe

Respectable
Oct 22, 2016
Your cpu temps are too high, use a better cooler. Use cpuz hwmonitor to monitor your temps. It sounds to me like your cpu is throttling back because of heat. Also make sure all your fans, motherboard, gpu fans etc are clean and not dusty.

May 1, 2018
My cpu temps hit 80c on games, is that too high. I am not on latest bios, but keep in mind I had the same issue with prior to replacing motherboard. I mentioned all the parts that have been replaced, which are the majority of my pc. My bios is pretty recent nonetheless. But if 80c can cause an issue it is a likely possibility, but is my ssd a possibility?

your post :
but is my ssd a possibility?
but is my ssd a possibbut is my ssd a possibility?
ility?

My cpu temps hit 80c on games, is that too high. I am not on latest bios, but keep in mind I had the same issue with prior to replacing motherboard. I mentioned all the parts that have been replaced, which are the majority of my pc. My bios is pretty recent nonetheless. But if 80c can cause an issue it is a likely possibility, but is my ssd a possibility?
Last post do not deal xxxxx
Pick as the solution

TRENDING THREADS