Chris Roberts 'Floored' Over Star Citizen Reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

benji720

Honorable
May 24, 2012
I have never been a fan of MMOs. My best friend has been the lead graphics programmer on a few of the bigger ones, but even tempted by free subscriptions to them, they still have not appealed to me. This actually piques my curiosity. I still remember staying up late running one more mission in Privateer.

G

I got a feeling tha this is just a publisher relying on crowd funding...hope not.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]hopenotforreal[/nom]I got a feeling tha this is just a publisher relying on crowd funding...hope not.[/citation]

Uh, what? I suggest you read the article.

Well I really liked Wing Commander and would have looked forward to see what Chris Roberts would do if he had the chance to make another one but have absolutely no interest in any MMO ever no matter who makes it.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
as much as i love wing command and his pc dedication, i'm glad the site crash prevented me from donating now that i read more: server side only. maaaaaaaybe future private servers. sounding more like always-connected DRM to me ):

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
well, I must say Ive never been interested in MMOs either. But if you see that promo video, I really believe most pc gamers here will be saying "shut up and take my money!". the dude apparently wants to make this a high end pc game, and the prototype level and trailer looked damn good. and thats only predevelopement advertisement demo visuals.

Their really not shitting when they say this game is ambitious.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
[citation][nom]bluekoala[/nom]Did PC gaming ever go away?Or did the console just dilute the lines so much by building closed ecosystems with PC parts?[/citation]

I don't know about you, but the last real made-for-PC game I can remember playing is Crysis. Everything else since then has been console-level stuff.

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
[citation][nom]abbadon_34[/nom]as much as i love wing command and his pc dedication, i'm glad the site crash prevented me from donating now that i read more: server side only. maaaaaaaybe future private servers. sounding more like always-connected DRM to me ):[/citation]
Hm, in his pitch video (which I realize is to get people to invest) he claims that they're planning for custom games and full mod support in addition to the persistent universe.

G

Starship Citizen is the MMO side element you can progress to. Squadron 42 is the coop campaign can be offline.

G

Made with Cry Engine 3!
Stating the obvious but that means it has the potential to looks just as good as Crysis 3 is meant to.

G

It's not an MMO, it's more like Freelancer with servers capable of supporting hundreds of people but still privately run/offline modes available. I know most of the devs this game is going to be INSANE. I already dropped $1000 on it.

G

There is offline play as well guys , my very first thought was "Take that blizzard" , If an indy can cater to both offline and online players , that means you could do that easily as well , but were never willing . And while corporate equals money and greed , and it is understandable strictly from a companies point of view (well that kind of a company anyway) , people are starting to see that this is not the company that used to make great games . Obvious really .

Really looking forward to Star Citizen . The promise is great , and I believe that man can deliver

G

Am I the only one who dislikes the innovative concept of paying upfront for the development of the games I may eventually wish to play?

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]serranogarcia[/nom]Am I the only one who dislikes the innovative concept of paying upfront for the development of the games I may eventually wish to play?[/citation]
its less about paying dev costs for a game youd eventually want to play, but more about paying dev costs for a game you want to play right now. smart people wont just throw their money at a company just because their idea may be interesting or have potential, the idea has to be something they want at the moment. It also has to do with the amount of faith you have in a dev to deliver the promised project on time.

Also the donation reward system promises the finished product if you donate enough. so you arent JUST paying for dev costs. Im actually not a really big fan of the rewards system in crowd fund sites. Devs usually reward a full game at a really low donation. it also means that for every donator that donates x amount you have 1 less customer to profit from in the end. of course it might be like thanks to that person for helping publish the game, but it also gives them the illusion that they are just paying for perks instead of helping make the game.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
[citation][nom]serranogarcia[/nom]Am I the only one who dislikes the innovative concept of paying upfront for the development of the games I may eventually wish to play?[/citation]

So you obviously have no idea who Chris Roberts is or what the Wing Commander Series is/was.

If this were some nobody I had never heard of I would be right there with you but for this I am all in. After getting shafted by Blizzard on Diablo 3 I am ready to put my money behind someone who is developing out of personal love and passion versus a big publisher trying to get rich.

Chris Roberts take my money and give me a new Wing Commander!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alxianthelast

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
It should be EA eating its heart out..

This product screams take my money and EA doesn't give a crap (even in the face of their failed MMO projects)

Status
Not open for further replies.