Status
Not open for further replies.
G

>PC gamers will be able to purchase in-game items with real-world cash
How about no.

sparky2010

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
I like this idea! Regarding in-game item purchases, we don't know if everything will be like that, but this is basically EVE Online in first person!

And to space fight MMO style? Bring it on!

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
No MMOs for me, thanks. I liked Wing Commander and Starlancer, loved Privateer, but if I wanted other players around, I could play Eve Online.

I guess I'll stick to First Encounters D3D, hope Chris Roberts makes a comeback though.

Priox

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
@killerclick

"No MMOs for me, thanks. I liked Wing Commander and Starlancer, loved Privateer, but if I wanted other players around, I could play Eve Online."

As awesome as Star Citizen sounds, and as devoted to the idea as I am, I understand not wanting to play another MMO.
What makes this project so beautiful, and what seems to not be mentioned in this article, is the single player game.
The single player is a military campaign that stands alone as a game, actually with a separate name: Squadron 49.

Squadron 49 is meant to fit within Star Citizen, in that once players complete the single player game, they can continue playing their character in the open world universe.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]m232489687[/nom]>PC gamers will be able to purchase in-game items with real-world cashHow about no.[/citation]
There is nothing wrong with paying for in game items as long as it's not Pay To Win. I love how GW2 has done their cash shop. No armor can be bought, don't have to pay to unlock zones or dungeons. All game play is included for the price. You can buy mini pets from the cash shop, same as sub based WoW, or dyes, which also drop in game or other things that are cosmetic or ease of use which don't affect gameplay.

Now if you have to buy ships or armor or areas, then I agree with you, no.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
A lot of players love the PC platform. The problem is, developers merely don't get it. They listen to marketing "experts" who tell them they will make more money by releasing half a game for full price and then trickling out DLC's for $5-$10 each to flesh out the game. It's this idea that gamers don't like. But developers see it as "well piracy took away our customers" or "there's not enough interest". No, there's interest in a company that gives value, but there is no interest in being nickeled and dimed to death.

coder543

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
for "PC"? That means absolutely nothing to me. Are we talking Windows only? Windows may die over the next two years for all we know, so definitely no support if this is Windows only. If this is coming to Mac, and especially Linux, then I'm quite interested.

Orlean

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
Looks amazing, although I haven't played any of the other titles Chris made this looks very interesting to me and I will most likely donate and buy this game at release. His statement in the video from 9:20 to 9:50 regarding PC gaming gives me hope that there are game developers that still care about the platform.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]nameon[/nom]HAH!!, i can hear the guys at CCP quaking in their boots!!!CCP - Makers of Eve Online[/citation]

Why? This seems like it will not have a crafting system at all beyond people coming up with good enough designs for ships that they put them in the game.

That and EVE Online is a established world already that works.

Star Citizen is years away even by Chris Robert's own admission. Plenty of time for CCP to add walking in stations in full, and a lot more.

You are like people saying each new MMO will kill WoW. And I hate WoW as much as you could hate it.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]coder543[/nom]for "PC"? That means absolutely nothing to me. Are we talking Windows only? Windows may die over the next two years for all we know, so definitely no support if this is Windows only. If this is coming to Mac, and especially Linux, then I'm quite interested.[/citation]

What? Windows won't die in 2 years no matter how bad Windows 8 is FFS. Vista barely made a dent, windows 8 will probably just be skipped like people skipped Vista beyond pre-builds.

Mac? LOL, it has about 4%, if not less by now, of the global PC market share.

Linux has too many flavors to really be depended on, especially since this game uses CryEngine 3. You know A DIRECTX ENGINE!

The derp is strong with this one folks.

vic20

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
Sorry priox, I agree with killerclick.

When the server shuts down, so does your game. There are countless MMOs that are no longer playable. I can still go back and play the original WCs if I want, because my PC hosts all of the data, not a server. The same most likely can't be said in the future about this game.

nameon

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]Why? This seems like it will not have a crafting system at all beyond people coming up with good enough designs for ships that they put them in the game.That and EVE Online is a established world already that works.Star Citizen is years away even by Chris Robert's own admission. Plenty of time for CCP to add walking in stations in full, and a lot more. You are like people saying each new MMO will kill WoW. And I hate WoW as much as you could hate it.[/citation]

No i wasnt hating on CCP, trust me i love EVE (i just cant get myself to invest so much time and money), i even doubt star citizen can match the fiction of eve.

I was simply stating that it seems the guys at CCP (even though their ahead) have some competition, given what we know know know about star citizen.

P.S - what exaclty do you mean by crafting system in eve, you mean buying ships, upgrading them at will, turning them to raw material, if so im sure star citizen will have something similar.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]vic20[/nom]Sorry priox, I agree with killerclick.When the server shuts down, so does your game. There are countless MMOs that are no longer playable. I can still go back and play the original WCs if I want, because my PC hosts all of the data, not a server. The same most likely can't be said in the future about this game.[/citation]

Except this is will have a single player part.

Is it too much for you to actually read and/or even watch the video in full?

Status
Not open for further replies.