Chris Roberts' Star Citizen Meets Kickstarter Goal

Status
Not open for further replies.

f-14

Distinguished
just watched his video, i am impressed enough to pledge, i don't completely love his modeling, but none the less this is going to be a great game should he meet his $5 million with stretch goals.

when he gets this completed i would love to see him use this on macross!

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
i dont get it... this says mmo, game says single player...

is the game like diablo 3 where you can play it single player (yea yea, d3 is online only, this game i don't know just using d3 as a comparison point) but you are encouraged to play it multiplayer?

also they are giving currency at low rates... can i take it that it is mmo...

im just confused...

and i didn't watch the video yet, im planning on sleeping soon, ill watch it when i wake up.

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i dont get it... this says mmo, game says single player... is the game like diablo 3 where you can play it single player (yea yea, d3 is online only, this game i don't know just using d3 as a comparison point) but you are encouraged to play it multiplayer? also they are giving currency at low rates... can i take it that it is mmo... im just confused... and i didn't watch the video yet, im planning on sleeping soon, ill watch it when i wake up.[/citation]

there is 2 games coming from this.

1. Squadron 42 (offline and online options, no internet connection required. it does have an Online Co-op tho.)

2. Star Citizen (the MMO)

[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i dont get it... this says mmo, game says single player... is the game like diablo 3 where you can play it single player (yea yea, d3 is online only, this game i don't know just using d3 as a comparison point) but you are encouraged to play it multiplayer? also they are giving currency at low rates... can i take it that it is mmo... im just confused... and i didn't watch the video yet, im planning on sleeping soon, ill watch it when i wake up.[/citation]

Read the FAQ on the website.

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010

I expected Wing Commander Zero ...

somthing like the start of the Kilrathi invasion .. the beginning of the story :( untill we reach wing commander 1

what made Wing Commander successful is not only the simulator. no it was the story itself.

or if not Wing commander zero , then Wing Commander Kilrathi ... you play the other side of the story... in all wing commander 1,2,3 universe ...

or just a REMAKE ...

Bring BACK Wing Commander !

the new generation will love it.

jamoise

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Electronics Arts own the the Wing Commander IP. Chris Roberts already wen't to EA to try and purchase the License from them but EA wanted way to much for it. so decided to make a new universe. I know I don't want EA to have any part of this new Chris Roberts game. they would probably insist on a console port.

G

Excellent movie on his part.

Looks like everybody's waking up after getting burned by the money-grubbing oven magnet jews at EA

[citation][nom]sna[/nom]...I expected Wing Commander Zero ...Bring BACK Wing Commander !the new generation will love it.[/citation]

This game WILL be Wing Commander in all but name. It is the kind of game Chris Roberts has wanted to build for years but never had the tools to do.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
heh Already funded up for a Constellation here

This game is looking up to be everything that could be hoped for so far. Chris and other Devs on his team are always listening and talking to the growing community listening to ideas etc.

As well as the MMO style aspect there is also a fully fleshed out single player section built in as a set of Squadron 42 military WC style missions (approx will be 45 of them if the pledging keeps up ) - ties into the MMO side as a way of earning your Citizenship – details to come, but will play an important part in this Fall of Rome style era. That is to say the game universe from the Humans perspective is coming up for some rocky changes as we all live and play out the story and find where we land again!

For the MMO Persistent Universe side of things:
Don't have to play through the Squadron 42 side of things if that is not your thing - can rock out into the Galaxy (which could be populated with as much as 40+ systems - Get pledging to help add more! ) with the spirit of a Pyrate of old and make your Own place to be - is even possible to get your own asteroid base of operations to start building your own little "business" empire...

You can attack and board ships + tackle the crews all up close and FPS - then take all they should have not held back from you ^^

Or..

For others perhaps you will team up with your mates to Hunt down some valuable bounties (NPC or Player) or head out to the wild frontiers for lots of PvE action against hostile alien races

Can even take the peaceful(ish) route and set out as an Intrepid Explorer and see the sights this Beautiful Galaxy has to offer. If lucky maybe find an unknown Jump Hole and successfully navigate it (can name it if you discover it and are the 1st to traverse it) that might lead to some ancient forgotten alien derelict drifting waiting just for you to enter and explore

If you make a big enough splash in the systems - your exploits could end up in the News Feeds for all to see as your reputation grows. The worlds lore are dynamic and will grow around you and those you play with (lets see what the Devs make of our actions as things evolve on release )

This PC only game will have support for all kinds of controllers and other immersive gear like the new Oculus Rift, Track IR and perhaps also that cool new gadget from LEAP Motion

At the moment we are Well on the way to the next Stretch Funding Goal which will unlock player ships as large as a Corvette - with bigger possible ships to come ^^
The more Funding they can get together in the next 21 days that are left the more we will get at launch, so get in there while you can!

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
[citation][nom]anxiousinfusion[/nom]I do hope that this game is still able to stress top-end hardware in 2014. Two years is a long time in terms of hardware.[/citation]

Why? All your going to do is alienate lots of gamers who won't buy the game/games because they fear their PC's won't be able to play it.

IMO the game should be accessible to all not just an elite few who can afford top end hardware.

G

they have promised exactly what made wing commander great... awesome dog-fighting with multiple plot lines including alternate endings based on how you do on the missions...

It is NOT an MMO... the city/planets will be more like chat rooms with fancy graphics than an mmo would be.. which is why they can put that all in one big server and not worry.. when you hit space.. if a combat situation develops it will break you and a set number of the nearest/most compatible ships into a virtual "Battle instance" you can call for help and your friends can join you.. they are estimating each instance can support 100 players groups of 60 or so is so reinforcements can come in..

the universe itself will be persistent.. and changes you make can and will affect the game.. with new content coming out in small short bursts

According to CR, the game is currently playable on a dual-core PC with a GTX460 or equivalent. Full fidelity however requires a quad-core Sandy/Ivy Bridge CPU with a GTX670.

Question is now, what will change between current and release? One assumes they will do quite a bit of additional optimization in the next two years.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]anxiousinfusion[/nom]I do hope that this game is still able to stress top-end hardware in 2014. Two years is a long time in terms of hardware.[/citation]
Game uses a modded version of CryEngine 3. He's said that the sys reqs will be the same as that of CE3 games. Naturally then, whatever will be able to run Crysis 3 will run Star Citizen.

[citation][nom]Nakal[/nom]Sadly, EA owns those rights and swallowed them whole never to be seen again[/citation]
Yeah it's like Interplay and FreeSpace 2 :(

I wish this guy buys the FS2 IP off interplay after SC's complete. And he teams up with the original Volition team, along with the folks over at Hard Light doing the Source Code Project.

Status
Not open for further replies.