Chrome 17 Gets HTTP Pipelining

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]Randomacts[/nom]Seriously tho.. I wish they would do .01 ect updates for most of these updates[/citation]
I know. It annoys me that browser devs keep changing the version number but I can't see a bit of difference on the UI.

bennaye

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
[citation][nom]Randomacts[/nom]Chrome 18 does your homework!!!...Seriously tho.. I wish they would do .01 ect updates for most of these updates[/citation]

I wistfully think Google does this to rub it into the faces of Mozilla. FF got canned by the community for their "rapid-release-schedule-with-nothing-much-changed" strategy, while Google's doing pretty much the same thing but with *much* less criticism.

Why don't people heap it on Google as well?

izmanq

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
will this makes testing web service using chrome frustating, since chrome will send request before we click a link :|

G

Firefox and Opera already does that. But to answer your question - no. It sends nothing before you click a link.

G

come on...because google dont use the version number for marketing unlike mozilla!

I dont even know what version im running or downloading without the about google chrome

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]I know. It annoys me that browser devs keep changing the version number but I can't see a bit of difference on the UI.[/citation]
i wish microsoft was like this, you know, change the engine without changing the interface. i get use to how something works (everything pre vista) than it all gets changed for no real reason (win 7, cant speak for vista)

G

Will this mean that internet will no longer be stuck in series of tubes(aka pipes)?
;)

solipsism

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
[citation][nom]izmanq[/nom]will this makes testing web service using chrome frustating, since chrome will send request before we click a link :|[/citation]

That's not what HTTP pipelining means. Basically, if you have 10 CSS files all hosted on the same server, a pipelined browser will request all 10 through the same socket without waiting for the response to the first 9 before making the 10th request. It then reads each reply off the socket in order.

Assuming a latency of N milliseconds, a non-pipelined HTTP/1.1 connection would save (9*N) milliseconds in this scenario. However, pipelining support in webservers isn't all that reliable - even with HTTP/1.1, a naive implementation of HTTP could end up mixing content from the requests together, so the hard part of the client implementation is error checking and fallback.

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
google de-emphasizes the number. since it auto-updates...and you don't even know the number unless you go out of your way, no-one cares.

...and, they've been rapid-release since inception. so who can complain...not like they 'jumped on board' after conventional released for a long time.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]jacekring[/nom]You do realize you can make win 7 look almost EXACTLY like winXP if you want to right? Was the same thing with Vista, you could choose your theme and layout and make it look so close to a WinXP you'd be surprised.It's the MS Office that makes huge interface changes each release, and you have to re-learn how to write a document each release. That kinda blows, and their is no way to change the interface to look like previous versions of Office.[/citation]

i am looking into this, but i don't have the means to play around with the os yet, as both pcs we have are not mine with 7 on them. if i can get it exactly like xp, and i mean everything, i would get it, 2 new 2tb hdds, and a new motherboard for ddr3 and 16gb or ram. currently have a ddr2 build because i couldn't pay for new everything when my old pc died. had to make a new on out of the surviving parts.

herdnruh

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Because most people see Google as a champion for the end user.[/citation]

Google doesn't put the version number out front & center. My wish is for all browsers to auto-update/prompt-to-update both the browser itself and its various extensions/plug-ins and have the capability to push-button enable/disable web features like java & flash, etc.

G

All you have to do is type this in the target field of your Chrome shortcut-

--enable-http-pipelining

It works!
For all things tech, visit my channel: youtube.com/supershamrock1234

titaniumsoldier

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]I know. It annoys me that browser devs keep changing the version number but I can't see a bit of difference on the UI.[/citation]

Who in the world cares about the UI? It could be a UI from the late 90s and it wouldn't matter very much. What matters is the stuff under the hood; the ability of the browser to properly translate HTML, CSS and Javascript into a user experience. Everything else is secondary.

titaniumsoldier

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
[citation][nom]bennaye[/nom]I wistfully think Google does this to rub it into the faces of Mozilla. FF got canned by the community for their "rapid-release-schedule-with-nothing-much-changed" strategy, while Google's doing pretty much the same thing but with *much* less criticism. Why don't people heap it on Google as well?[/citation]

Methinks you don't know much about the web and computer science.

Status
Not open for further replies.